Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon progress pics

Go down 
+4
59vista
PontiaCat59
59 Blue Bomber
markymark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SafariRod

SafariRod

Wagon progress pics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 1:31 am

sorry...was still on page one when I replied the first time...I was referring to the seatbelt conversation. Anywho, still looking for mirrors Smile
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 am

SafariRod.....The original factory approved outside rearview mirrors were an extra cost accessory. Hard to believe in this day and age, when you can hardly find a car without air conditioning and everything else standard. The driver side could be either factory or dealer installed. The pasenger side was a dealer installed accessory only, that very few customers purchased. Neither one has been reproduced. They were, however used from 1959 thru 1961. Driver side mirrors, in decent condition, often show up on E-bay. I've never seen a used passenger side though. I did see a NOS pair about a year ago, that was bid up to about $600 and didn't meet reserve. Many cars, back then, were ordered without a driver side mirror. Whether this was an oversite or intentional is a matter of conjecture. Sometimes dealers could purchase and install aftermarket mirror/mirrors for a better profit margin than factory approved ones. This was done with many minor accessories such as floor mats, radios, fenderskirts, etc. The bottom line is, if you want factory correct, keep watching E-bay, and be prepared to sell your soul for the passenger side. If you can be satisfied with functional and period correct, there are many to choose from. I've seen several 1959 Pontiacs with fender mounted square headed mirrors. These are always showing up, new in pairs......John
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 5:06 am

or if you want some funky custom ones, mooneyes has alot of selection.
Hydraulic hose update-finding a new one was futile, and asking a shop to build one , due to liability, was impossible. I finally had to go into a shop with the hose and ask if I could have a new one built for a "piece of equipment" I owned. Its all fine-just need to bleed the brakes, have the seats done, and enjoy summer!
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2011 1:06 pm

That coresponds perfectly with my findings on e-bay. I have been looking for a passenger side mirror for a long time. It is practically impossible.

I saw another mirror that i liked here on this forum once. It is mounteed to the roof, and sticks out just outside the small vent window. I would love a set of those, because i think that the position is just right for the trailer - the fender mounted mirror is not doing a good job with the trailer, and when i change laines to the left i need the wife to check if the coast is clear affraid . If anyone knows where to get a set of those, any info will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Its good to see things getting a little busier around here. Today has been a monumental day!! I picked the car up from the shop-just had the transmission entirely overhauled, installed an aftermarket cooler, had all the little things tweaked like brake adjustment, timing, etc.. and spent part of the afternoon in sunny British Columbia just cruising. I thought about putting some tunes on the stereo, but the new Brockman Mellowtones were all the music I needed. What a fun day, and there will be many more this summer. I still have to get the seats reupholstered this month and get the speedometer working, but just getting out on the open road after a year of wrenching was much needed therapy. I'll try to get a few more shots up on flickr in the weeks ahead.
One question, has anyone ever rebuilt their speedometer. My cable spins, but the needle stays put.

Oh, one other thing...GO CANUCKS!!
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 pm

hey 59 vista, the mirrors you saw might have been mine. I had to drill a hole in the door frame (that was scary) and take some of the rubber out for the bolt. Look at "hot rod" mirrors and see if one of those clip on type ones will work.
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Found them. Thanks !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon progress pics   Wagon progress pics - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wagon progress pics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2