Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi! New guy looking for info

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jim_cleveland

jim_cleveland

Hi! New guy looking for info Empty
PostSubject: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 pm

2014-04-01
Hi, I stumbled upon this site while web searching for parts for my '59 Catalina 2-door sedan.
I read in some of the earlier posts that the fuel tank sending unit from a '62 Pontiac will fit my
'59.  I can't find a '59 sending unit but there are '62 units available from several sources.  I just
wanted to confirm that this will work.  If not does anyone know a source for a '59 sending unit?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim in Texas-
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Jim,

There's an old thread on this site about this but the item is gone from ebay. The sellers contact info is:

TAZ Parts
Todd Zimmerman
920-526-3454
Greenbush, WI 53026
tazimmy@aol.com
POCI# 014452

I bought mine from here last august for $65 plus S&H

Michael
Back to top Go down
jim_cleveland

jim_cleveland

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Michael! I'll give him a holler.

-Jim-
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Jin.....the 1962 units that I've seen on E-Bay look like they would fit our tanks. As to whether they will work, depends on the resistance values of the rheostat on them. The idea is that the rheostat alters the voltage seen by the gauge from 12V to almost 0V. I'll have to look up the ohm values and report back later......John

Last edited by CATBIRD on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am

Jim.....the gauge needs about 30 ohms resistance from the sender to read full (float all he way up.) About 15 ohms 1/2 full, and 1 ohm empty (float all the way down.) Some other years used 90 ohms for full, and some were set up to read low ohms as full and high ohms as empty. None of these will work with our gauges even if the sender fits the tank. Best to check with the seller before purchasing one of those......John
Back to top Go down
59 Sport Coupe

59 Sport Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Next week end, I could measure the resistance for you. I have a new 1961 sensor to the garage.

1959 NOS: GM PART #5640209

Hi! New guy looking for info _5710

NEW 1961/1964:

Hi! New guy looking for info C6425410

Back to top Go down
jim_cleveland

jim_cleveland

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 pm

My thanks to everybody who has been kind enough to help me with this subject! cheers 
    If there is an electrical resistance difference issue with senders from other years then it
    may be necessary to try rebuilding the unit I have.  The main problem with it is the strap
    (Is it brass or copper?) has separated into two pieces and I will need to effect some sort of
    repair.  Anyone out there have a new or usable used unit for sale?  Thanks again for all the
    help!

-Jim-
Back to top Go down
59 Sport Coupe

59 Sport Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 1:01 pm

My new fuel sending 61, 62, ....

Full = 31~32 homs

Half = 12 homs

Empty = 0.5 ~ 0 homs

Purchased here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331013988049
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New Guy Looking for Info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Don't thow away that old sending unit, you can repair it.  My sending unit ('59) had the same defect and I soldered it back.  Worked now since 2008 with no sign of a problem.
Back to top Go down
jim_cleveland

jim_cleveland

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Again, thanks to everyone for the help and information!  I think I can rebuild my
sending unit as I have a few parts cars in the yard and can use a bit of the strapping
from one of the other units to patch my broken strap.

Now, anyone have an original '59 radiator fan shroud?  My car gets hot down here in
Central Texas!

-Jim-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi! New guy looking for info   Hi! New guy looking for info Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi! New guy looking for info
Page 1 of 1