Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Info on Motor and tranmission

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
59-Star

Info on Motor and tranmission Empty
PostSubject: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I recently picked up a 59 Star Chief. Very original car (still has the glass bowl fuel filter). Car is in really good shape, 78,000 miles. I've owned several classics over the years, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of older Pontiacs.

The car has been sitting in a garage for 11 years, untouched. The story is, the old man died 11 years ago. I bought from his son, who was 60 and lived about a 100 miles away. He was selling the house and needed it gone.
So brought it home. I am now in the process of getting it running. Put a couple of ounces of penetrating oil down the cylinders, got it turning over.

Was told by the son that it has a 4 speed Hydro-Matic. and of course a 389.

What were the transmission options and how to tell which tranny it has.

How do I tell which HP 389 is in it, it is a 2 Barrel.

Thanks for any info.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 am

http://www.oldride.com/library/1959_pontiac_catalina.html   I refer to this site quite a bit. Congrats on your car-sounds like a gem.
Back to top Go down
59-Star

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks Finfan. Will Bonny Back up lenses fit a Star Chief.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Pretty sure all clear round back ups are the same, I will check my cars and post back if thats not correct.
Saw complete assemblies on ebay yesterday.
Back to top Go down
59-Star

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 11:49 am

Dropped the fuel Tank today, not a pretty site, will need to be replaced. anyone know where one can be found.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm sure I have at least one.
Back to top Go down
59-Star

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 12:43 pm

How much you asking for it.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 10:36 pm

If they are all the same I have more than 1. Meaning if all the models take the same tank. 50 bucks plus shipping.
Is yours rusted thru or something?
Back to top Go down
59-Star

PostSubject: Tank   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 7:16 am

Thank for the offer.
I began the restoration process on the tank.
The car sat for many years, so the inside of the tank was full of junk and rust. The top of the tank had about 15 holes develop as I began to clean it up.
I cleaned it real good and patched all the holes with epoxy.
Going to clean the inside really good, than try this tank Epoxy Sealer from Caswell, the say it really works well, we'll see. Ordered it last night.
Thanks again, I will let you know how it works.
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 12:00 am

59-Star.....all reverse lamp lenses are the same. All fuel tanks are the same. There were only three transmissions offered in 1959, a three speed manual on almost all models, a heavy duty three speed on both 420A and Tri-Power engines, and the four speed Hydra-Matic. There was a slight difference in the Hydra-Matic used for, the 420E. It was adjusted to upshift at a lower RPM for better fuel economy, but other than that it was the same.

If the 2bbl on your engine is original, that will indicate what engine you have. Look at where the choke housing mounts to the carburetor. If it mounts near the top of the air horn the engine is the 215 HP 420E. If it is attached to the throttle body (base) of the carburetor it is the 280 HP engine, which was standard for Star Chiefs with Hydra-Matic. Also, the 280 HP carburetor has a large idle air adjustment screw at the rear of the throttle body, facing the distributor. The 215 HP does not......John
Back to top Go down
59-Star

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 pm

CATBIRD..

Yes I ordered a set of reverse lenses, they fit good, mine were original and cracked a bit.

Refurbished the gas tank and used Caswell Epoxy Liner, would recommend it to anyone, as it worked really well, so far, its re-installed and working great, used a sending unit/pick up, ordered from Ebay for a 61-65 as suggested on this forum, it was an exact match and works well also.

Just went and checked the carb, must be original, car seems very original. Choke thermostat mounts to the base of carb and there is a very large adjustment screw pointing to the firewall. Must be the 280 HP, this is good news.

Last weekend I took it for a 2 mile spin to check it out (1st time since I got it running), its a 4 speed, although it shifts very smoothly, almost hard to feel the gear changes, quite impressed. This car has PS, AC, PB.

Thanks for your input and knowledge of 59 Pontiac. Will probably need some tips in the future. I plan to restore this car and keep it as original as possible. Thanks Ben.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Info on Motor and tranmission   Info on Motor and tranmission Empty

Back to top Go down

Info on Motor and tranmission
Page 1 of 1