Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dipstick question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:59 am

My safari unfortunately has a dipstick broken roughly at the mark saying "do not overfill" and as such I have no idea what my fill parameters are for the engine oil. And because all Pontiacs up here are Chevys there arent any dipsticks to compare. So I'm asking if I can trouble any of you for the length of your dipstick from below the handle, and at what lengths are the full and empty levels at? I'm going to have to weld a piece on and scribe my markings!
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:19 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to find a new one. I would guess 59-66? are all the same and maybe back further and maybe newer. I believe the manuals say 4 quarts
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
CATBIRD

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:13 pm

markymark.....I laid my dipstick on a steel ruler, with the underside of the bell shaped plug touching the end, and this is what I got. 21and1/8" to the "FULL" line, 21and3/4" to the "ADD" line, and 23and5/8" to the pointed tip. The crankcase capacity is 5qts plus 1qt for the filter. The stock cartridge filter takes a full quart, but what a messy pain to change. I replaced mine with one of those adaptors that uses a spin-on filter. I used the biggest NAPA filter I could find, and painted it satin black. Looking down at it, you can't tell it's not original. Pontiac switched to spin-on filters in 1960, and that mount also fits our blocks. It just occured to me, if you have air conditioning, those measurments are wrong. The A/C dipstick is longer. Sorry I don't know those numbers. Hope this helps......John
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 4:03 pm

yes that helps immensely-I'll use these measurements to cut and join a generic dipstick to my existing. I've found a wrecker up here with quite a few old pontiacs, but being Canada, you pop the hood and voila, its a SBC. It makes the restoration a little more fun. Thanks again CATBIRD
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:07 pm

is the filter adaptor similar to the one often seen on ebay? Looks like it could be had for under $100
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Don't buy an adapter, buy a filter housing thing from a later pontiac. I bought 2 for like $10 each on ebay. Some are straight down and some are at an angle. Either should work fine with stock exhaust. They bolt right in
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 3:35 pm

You can cancel your bid as long as its before 12 hours of auction end. I hate to do it but sometimes you find a better deal. I would look for a pontiac adapter instead of the spin on adapters.
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Yes, that will work fine. Your original sending unit will work, mine did
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:10 am

So its all hooked up, however the housing puts the oil filter at an angle that causes it to scrape on the engine once installed (a fram ph 25 I believe)-did you have this problem? Is there a narrower filter I could use with this housing?
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:57 pm

I have no scraping problems. What application is that filter for? The filter I use is for a 64 GTO
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm

its off a 1970 pontiac-angles in alot. Even an 1/8th inch smaller diameter would work-or I could just live with the scraped oil filter I guess
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:27 am

markymark.....By your description (angled in) I think that you have the filter adapter for the Ram Air engines. The original adapter was straight down. It was made that way to clear the cast iron high performance exhaust manifolds. It will work fine, but you need to use the shorter filters. I think it was the PF24 or its equivalent, but not sure. Get one for a GTO or Firebird......John
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 am

Perused the filter sizes on Summit racing tonite-it appears theres lots of different sizes that will solve my dilemma-going with the fram ph 3675
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 am

Are you not using the one from the ebay auction? Mine looks just like that one and 1964 GTO filters work just fine. You can probably find something better than Fram though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dipstick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dipstick question   Dipstick question Empty

Back to top Go down

Dipstick question
Page 1 of 1