Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Body Mount

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wydtrac

wydtrac

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Fourteen of them to be exact! Got the old ones out (see pic) and the new ones are in place. Just need to double check and tighten them down good. The old ones are 1" thick, but the new ones are about half that thickness. The only one I had trouble with was the last one back on the drivers side. This one had a nut on it that is welded in place. A place you can't get at! Well, not without some trouble. It was so rusted, when I put the air to it, it spun it loose. Turns out it is accessable in the trunk on this one. (not suppose to be I dont think!) Crying or Very sad But I did discover a rust hole that is directly over the nut as if someone had filled it with plastic and painted over it. That will have to be fixed.
Body Mount Body_m15
Body Mount Body_m16
Body Mount Body_m17
The black crud on the frame I have figured out is rust proofing slime! What a mess! I am taking it off as I move along. I plan to replace it before I get it out in the weather this spring. Man, this stuff is like oil from a tanker that washed up on shore in Alaska! If it gets on ya, you need to be run thru a decontamination process! affraid
Hopefully this weekend will finish up on these babies and its on to front end parts. Lots of worn out rubber there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.classicconvertibles.net
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 pm

My new mounts were about the same thickness as the old ones. Are you sure you ordered the right ones? I don't think mine were an inch thick. Maybe 3/4"

I'm glad you got it done! It was fairly easy right? Body Mount 617550
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
wydtrac

wydtrac

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Ya RIGHT! Who's the wise guy that said "just jack it up and slip the old ones out and the new ones in". Body Mount 919776 Very funny!
Well, it wasn't that bad, but now I dont know if I have the correct mounts. I double checked what I ordered from Ames. I fired off an email to them with the same picture I attached here. I questioned them when I got them, being so much thinner than the originals, but my thought was "so what"? It doesn't really effect anything does it? So, I put them all in. All fourteen of them! Where did you get yours from and do you have a picture you can share? If they are wrong, I'll spend another 8 hours changing them out again. That is if I can find the correct ones. It's not like I'm driving it anywhere soon. We still have three feet of snow on the ground and the temps are still cold. This weekend was better, in the hight 40's-low 50's. I actually had the garage door open and it was warmer outside in the sunshine than in the garage for a change.
Body Mount Compar10
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Body Mounts   Body Mount EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 11:27 pm

wydtrac.....It shouldn't matter that they are of a different thickness, but understand that your body now sits a little closer to the frame. Looks like about 1/4", more or less. I would check for any clearance issues between things attached to the frame and the body such as the exhaust system, transmission, steering column etc. Prior to doing the body work on mine, I spent considerable time aligning all the sheet metal as close as possible and marked them. I took it apart for body work and painting, and replaced the mounts then. After getting it back together I found that the doors and windows didn't line up properly, and had to be realigned, as the body had shifted some. Check all your door, window, and front fender gaps and operation. you might have to adjust some, or shim the body mounts.......John
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:26 am

The ones on the right are identical to the ones I pulled out and the ones AMES sent me. The ones on the left are way thicker than the stock ones on mine. But yeah, it's not gunna hurt anything.

My body mount swap was easy as hell. I did it by myself in about an hour. I also had no alignment problems afterwards. My car is pretty rust free so all the bolts came out easy.
Back to top Go down
wydtrac

wydtrac

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I will have to check all the spots mentioned for alignment and fit. I would still like to know Ames answer as to why mine are so much thicker.... Body Mount 684662
I started looking at front end part tonight. Found the stablizer bushings etc. locally at NAPA. They list it for the Bonneville but isn't it the same for the Star Chief?
Looks like I may need other pieces and parts too.
Is anyone going to Carlisle in April? I am trying to make it there in between the Springsteen concert on the 22nd and wife's birthday on the 29th. Would someone mind telling her I'm going please?! affraid I have always wanted to go and after 35 years I think it's high time I did, before I drive off the cliff with Thelma and Louise! cheers
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 am

Most parts stores will not list star chief. Star chiefs and Bonnies are the same anyway.

I ordered all my front end kit parts from Kanter and then the rest of the parts from Summit. The only thing I could not find were the inner tie rods. I think California Pontiac Restoration has them though.
Back to top Go down
wydtrac

wydtrac

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am

Ames looked at the pics of the body mounts. They say they have been selling this replacement since '88 with no problems. Leave it to me to have the only SC with body mounts that are different! Well, let's go with what they sent me and see what happens. I dont want to take them back out anyway.
Back to top Go down
brasil

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 11:36 am

Hi all ! I' am in the same process, I' m changing all my rotten body mounts . But I' have a question: what I have to remove more for raising without problem the body ? power steering bolts from the frame ? Lower radiator bolt ? or more ? Thanks . Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Body Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount   Body Mount Empty

Back to top Go down

Body Mount
Page 1 of 1