Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clutch linkage vs headers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Clutch linkage vs headers Empty
PostSubject: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Now I finally got around to sticking my clutch linkage under the car and seeing what's gunna work and what's not. Well the damn headers on it right now are in the way! Good thing I already started building those fenderwll exits! Now I can see there's no other way around the frame and clutch linkage and the starter. So all around, fenderwell exits are the only way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 7:55 pm

those damn headers eh!! I was actually thinking on putting the manifolds back on so i can tuck the exhaust up better. ive always wanted headers on a car so we'll see. I want to lower the car a bit so i will have to go from there. But i dont have nearly the issues your haveing with yours but we all know youll do it.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 pm

You can always slightly modify yours so they don't sit so low. I don't think you have frame clearance issues like I do. I'll figure it out!
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 am

I think I can make some block huggers or shortys custom to make it work with the automatic. Plus having the TH350 instead of the original hydramatic gives me some more rrom to play with.

I want headers but still want to keep mine looking stock. I'm going to build mine a sleeper.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm

You can probably buy some shorty headers that will work. I just think that shorty headers will choke my car out way too much.

Sleepers are the way to go. Who is gunna suspect a 50 year old 4 door granda car/boat will be pretty quick?
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 2:27 pm

shortys would be better than stock manifolds.....

What you running for a cam in that thing anyways?
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm

It's a crane street cam, I just looked it up but I can't find it anymore. I found this in another post I made

Hydraulic lifters with roller rockers

Intake duration 284
I think exhaust is the same because on the sheet it only lists that #

Same with the intake and exhaust lift, only lists one number .48

Lobe separation of 112

I think my builder told me it's a great street cam for dual quad, 4 speeds and power range of 1600-6000 or somethin like that.
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Ok, so I can expect something just a little less. I'm pondering the XE274 right now.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm still fairly new to this so I'm not that good with cams. My builder asked me "carb? tranny? street or strip?" and picked a cam acordingly.

What are your plans?
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 pm

A cruiser with some snort I suppose is a good way to word it. I want a little choppy idle and I want to be able to turn around 400hp when I'm done. Transmission is built with a converter on the front for similar use. I believe the stall rate was 2200 if I remember right. No lockup but shift kit and performance valve body. I will keep the tri power and open up the exhaust a bit more too.

New cam, rockers, pistons, rods, heads will be completely gone through with different springs, valves, screw in rocker studs etc. The Crane XRi ignition system I just bought....
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 7:22 pm

According to some guys on performance years, they think my motor is only about 300 hp. I think they're stoned and mistaken.

Hardly anything is stock, and the headers over stock manifolds has to be good for at least 25 hp alone, not to mention way better valvetrain, way better cam, better carburetion and better ignition. So how my motor went from 315 hp stock to less hp with all the money I have into it, I don't know. They said because 315 is the old school rating, SAE would be about 10% less. So I guess that would mean I'm only making about 20 hp over stock? That sounds ridiculous to me.

Even on new vehicles, I know 2 guys that did dynos before and after headers, they both got over 30 WHEEL horsepower over stock manifolds.

The heads are completely redone, There is nothing stock or reused in the heads, the only thing stock on the motor is the crank and rods and pushrods. Honestly I don't see how mine is any less than 1HP/cubic inch. It better be at least 389 hp. But whatever, we'll find out how she runs soon enough.

Honestly, I'll be pretty disappointed if it runs over a 14.5. I think at 4300 lbs it needs about 375 hp at the crank to run mid 14s.

When I first discussed my motor build with the guy who built he he said "400 hp easy, probably more like 450" 450 sounds exageratted to me but I don't see how 400 hp isn't reasonable.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch linkage vs headers   Clutch linkage vs headers Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch linkage vs headers
Page 1 of 1