Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RitchieMars

RitchieMars

What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer? Empty
PostSubject: What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer?   What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer? EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my '59 Star Chief's exhaust system to a dual setup. The old setup is shot and pieced together anyways, and now has a pretty loud exhaust leak from the doughnut gasket. I was curious as to what types of mufflers you guys were a good choice for these cars, with the 389 of course. Mine's a 4-door so I'm not really wanting it to sound like a hot rod but I don't want it super-quiet either. I was advised to steer away from Flowmaster and go to something more like a MagnaFlow or Turbo.
Back to top Go down
http://Huh...
CATBIRD

What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer?   What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer? EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Ritchie…..There are several aftermarket vendors that can reproduce the dual exhaust system for our cars, in stainless or aluminized steel. I used Classic Exhaust. If I remember correctly they are in Florida. They sent a complete set including the exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes all bent properly. Everything fit together perfectly. The hardest part of the project was finding the correct hangers for the driver's side. They show up on E-Bay from time to time, But you can do an acceptable job using universal type pieces. By the way, those donuts are not what is supposed to be used to seal the head pipe to the exhaust manifold. They don't allow the nuts and bolts to be tightened evenly, and can cause leaks. Use a flat gaskets made for that seal……John
Back to top Go down

What exhausts/mufflers do you guys prefer?
Page 1 of 1