Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
viltteri

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere Empty
PostSubject: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:33 am

Hello from Finland.

Found this forum while looking upper ball joints to my Catalina. Seems to be right place to find good information.

My story with 1959 Pontiac started twenty years ago. I was looking old american car, to be my first one.
My brother and I found one nearby. Car was torn apart, it was shipped from states couple year ago, and original engine were blown out on a trip from custom to eastern Finland.
I bought that flattop without engine and transmission.
Next winter went in garage, and I managed to get it to first inspection at the same day when I got my drivers license.
It was my eighteenth birthday too Smile

But as you know, at seventeen, your work quality ain't so, how to say, luxorious, so I took car apart again and it was
undrivable for a long time. During that time, I rebuild interior, changed carpets and painted dashboard etc.

Car itself is Catalina 4D Vista, and runs with Oldsmobile 307 + TH350, it was impossible to find working 389 twenty years ago from Finland. It is modded just to be drivable, all the time. (picture shows our driving conditions in march)

Few years ago I found interesting add from local american car forum (overdrive.fi)
One guy was selling two ´59 Catalinas, and other was Convertible.
Price was reasonable, and it included spare part car, 2D HT Catalina also, lots of parts and so on, so I picked it up.
Car might be ONLY 1959 Convertible in Finland (not yet sure), chassis is already restorated, but body needs some work to do.
2D HT came along to give quarter panels for the convertible, but it is too good shape to be destroyed, didn't have the guts to do it Smile
Also both cars engines was missin parts, so I shipped one more Cat from states. It was 4D model. That car also included extra engine and transmission, so I believe I got enough part to start build up atleast two of cars.

So, those four Catalinas, they are from separate factories, only that flattop is made in Pontiac. 2D Hard top is painted "spring edition" color, pretty interesting color, to be honest, maybe I'll keep it that way too. Major lack off in that car is that it does not included any seats, so i got to find those somewhere, but i believe any GM seat will fit, maybe a lot newer also...

Here the start of story, do not be afraid to ask if you want to know more. I'll be sertainly asking dumb questions constantly Wink

Sami Vainionpää, Nurmes, Finland

P.S.

New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

I'll add those photos later Smile

Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome aboard!! Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Here in Canada we're still waiting for the snow to subside as well, but I'm thinking things should start lighting up on the boards here as soon as spring arrives.
Back to top Go down
viltteri

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:40 am

And couple photos, I know youll be asking those Wink
introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere Tepis<br>
Sorry about those hubcaps, but only studded tires was 15" and from Chevy Van Smile

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere 327

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere 4d-pieni

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere 2dht

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere Avo
Back to top Go down
Cat SS 59

Cat SS 59

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:43 am

Welcome to the site Sami. Great looking 4D Vista. I love the color combination. Probably the only 59 that's seen snow and studded tires in the last 25 years. I see you guys drive motorcycles in the snow too!
Keep us posted on your collection. Thanks, Jim
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:05 am

Welcome! That is one bad ass '59! I love the color combo
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59 Blue Bomber

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Very nice! I like the color combo, too! Yes, please keep us posted on the progress!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere   introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere Empty

Back to top Go down

introducing gearhead in the middle of nowhere
Page 1 of 1