Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

...while my heater core gently weeps

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
markymark

markymark

...while my heater core gently weeps Empty
PostSubject: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 7:09 pm

I have not been able to locate a new heate core for the '59. Ames doesnt have them and a google search comes up pretty empty handed. Anybody ??
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:59 am

markymark.....Not an easy item to find. Best bet is to find a good radiator shop in your area. They can probably replace your core and retain all the rest of the parts. Usually a new core will be better than taking a chance on someone's used item. Are you sure that it's the core? Sometimes the heater control valve is the culprit. Those I've seen on E-bay......John
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 am

Finding an NOS heater core for these cars is nearly impossible. I got lucky and scored one off of Ebay for $50, but it's the only one I have ever seen pop up on Ebay in over 8 years of daily searches.

There's a rebuilt heater core on Ebay right now if you don't want to bother with yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-1960-Pontiac-Full-Size-Heater-Core-Restored-NICE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aPontiacQ7cYearQ3a1959QQhashZitem45f73f9983QQitemZ300500883843QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 am

Too late-mines being recored as we speak. A little more than fifty clams mind you. By the way, does anyone know the part number for the molded heater hose off the lower outlet on the firewall? Could I just use hose stock?
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:13 am

markymark.....The lower outlet goes to the nipple on the intake manifold. I could look up the part number, but it would do you no good. It's been obsolete for many years. What I did was go to NAPA and ask to see some molded hoses in the right diameter (3/4" I think.) Found one that was a little longer and cut it to fit. They stll make molded hoses, you just have to find a parts store that will take the time to help. If you don't care about factory correct, you can solve the problem in the plumbing department at Lowes or Home Depot. All you need is a short threaded nipple to go into the manifold, and a 90* elbow. Take your existing hose nipple out, thread it into one end of the elbow, put the threaded nipple into the manifold, and put the other end of the elbow on it. Then you can use any straight heater hose. Not correct, but I've seen this done so many times, I thought in was original. I guess this is what people did once the molded hose was discontinued......John
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:57 am

So the upper heater outlet goes to the lower rad , and the lower goes to the manifold next to the thermostat?? I guess somewhere along the way somebody hooked mine up backwards then!
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 am

markymark.....Yes
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

all done-even scoured the books for molded heater hoses to clean up the engine bay a little
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...while my heater core gently weeps   ...while my heater core gently weeps Empty

Back to top Go down

...while my heater core gently weeps
Page 1 of 1