Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tranny ideas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
markymark

markymark

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: tranny ideas   tranny ideas EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:56 am

So I'm starting to peel apart the safari and quickly realised my new wagon has an olds tranny in it-different shift pattern and in need of a rebuild. This got me thinking that perhaps I should just swap it out for something modern- do newer GM trannys (ie350's) bolt in to the 389 block? Or am I a fool for imagining such a thing?
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny ideas   tranny ideas EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 12:37 am

markymark.....need some more information. What makes you think that you have an Olds transmission? Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac all used the four speed Super Hydramatic in 1959. The shift pattern was P N D1 D2 L R. I think Olds, and maybe Cadillac called it S instead of D2, but with only moderate differences in the transmission itself. These were good sturdy and economical units that were used in many Pontiacs up until 1965 when the Turbo Hydramatic 400 replaced them. Parts are still readily available, however finding someone with the expertise to rebuild them, is unfortunately not around the corner at the local Ammco. The Turbo Hydramatic 350 is not a direct bolt-in. An adapter would be needed, as the bolt pattern is not the same as a 59 block. The TH350 is shorter and will require a driveshaft and crossmember modification, and probably a yoke change. The gear selector linkage would have to be modified, and the downshift linkage is mechanical now and would have to be changed to vaccum. That being said, it can and has been done often, but it isn't a plug and play proposition. How do you know that your transmission need to be rebuilt. It might just need a good fluid change and a linkage adjustment. Hope this helps......John
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny ideas   tranny ideas EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 3:29 am

Well I found a few things as I cleaned out the interior last week-a note to a previous owner stating the tranny was a later model olds with the P-R-N-D1-D2 shift pattern. As well was found a larger box from "Fatsco" with a rebuild manual for an Olds Jetaway tranny (the manual said it was the same as a Pontiac Stratoflite) and a variety of seals, rubber bands and the sort in a package. I think you are right regarding finding someone to work on it who knows something about the tranny. I'll tackle all projects on the car myself but this one...
Thanks for the response.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny ideas   tranny ideas EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Weren't Olds and Caddy bolt patterns different than Pontiac?

Sounds like it's time for a muncie!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59safaricat

59safaricat

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny ideas   tranny ideas EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Hmmm, probably best to take and picture of the trans and we should be able to narrow it down to the model.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tranny ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny ideas   tranny ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

tranny ideas
Page 1 of 1