Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What size tires are yall running?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

What size tires are yall running? Empty
PostSubject: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 pm

I have 215/70s on mine right now. I guess that measures out to about 26-27" tall and 7-8" wide. They fit in there OK.

The cheater slicks I got are 28" tall and 8" wide and they don't fit. haha There is enough room under the car but not enough to squeeze them in between the drum and the fender well lip.

Just curious how big yall are running. I think my shocks being wrong are the problem. Maybe not. I'm going to swap shocks and see if that helps.

The shocks I have now are for "1959 Pontiac" but I had a hell of a time getting them in there when I replaced my shocks and springs. Once I got the car back on it's tires I could see that the shocks were all the way extended when the car was just sittin on it's own weight. Hopefully that is the problem
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:52 pm

15 x 8 '79 pontiac ralleys. And i can go to 10" wide at the back, but thats because i dont have the wide track like you guys. But im putting my 13x7 steellies in when i lower the car.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:22 am

But how big are the tires?
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am

I'd have to double check but I think I have 195/65r14 on mine. Whatever the stock plias tire size converts to in radial. I'm going to put a wider tire on the back when I swap out.

About your shocks, you definitely have the wrong size if they're extended while sitting. Did you have them converted across brands or something? When I got mine they fit in perfectly. Got them from Ames.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Got them from NAPA. He looked up '59 Pontiac and had them in stock for like $25 for the pair so I said fuck it. I'm going to get the KYBs for sure.
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 10:47 pm

i'll look at the tire size tomorrow. About shocks, if i cut the springs to lower it, how do i figure out what size of shocks i need? I have the original type in still i believe, the spiral lookin ones.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 1:38 am

Yeah, the spiral looking ones should be stock. Depending on how much you lower it I guess. I think if a few inches stock shocks would be fine
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 pm

i think it will just be lowered a couple inches, so i guess i'll find out. I was going to do that this weekend but i need to buy a new battery first. Were going on vacation/wedding in a month to New Brunswick (long haul) so 59 pontiac funds are limited. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm running cooker classic whitewalls on the original 14 inch rims - i was outside to check the size, but it is dark as hell, so i couldnt make it out - will check some time tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Stock 225/70/14. It's a royal pain in the ass to hunt down and find that size tire these days Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Anyone know if you can get hijackers for the rear ?. I have a clearance issue when driving the caravan over speedbumps. I h*a*t*e speedbumps Evil or Very Mad .

By the way it is not uncommon here to have large speedbumps - then there is a bypass lane for busses, since the drivers are not allowed to pass the speedbumps for the sake of their backs (never mind the other drivers scratch ). The buslane is equipped with a large bunker in the middle, lined with a steelpipe to make sure that anyone using that option gets their vehicle completly destroyed. Luckily they did not take the wide-track into account, so i just take the buslane Laughing .
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 9:10 pm

haha that's awesome!
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 am

WOW, I got the KYB shocks today. They're a full 4" longer than the Napa ones that were supposed to fit my car.

SOOO The cheater slicks are on and the new shocks are on and the dog dishes are on and it looks fuckin bad ass!!!!

I'll post pics soon. I took a picture with my phone before I put the dog dish caps on and it reminds me of an old NASCAR.

Hopefully I'll get the brakes done this weekend. I have all the parts now. I'm stoked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What size tires are yall running?   What size tires are yall running? Empty

Back to top Go down

What size tires are yall running?
Page 1 of 1