Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Turn Signal Switch

Go down 
+2
starchief1959
Lina59
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 6:05 pm

I am having electrical problems with the brake and back up lights and the mechanic thinks it is in the turn signal switch. He said he has called everywhere looking for a replacement and has run out of sources. Does anyone have any ideas where to get this replacement or if they think this is even the problem. The ames catalog didn't even carry it. Thanks for any type of help.
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 11:24 am

Most likely is the directional switch. You can't buy new. Only what you can find on Ebay, swap meets, etc. I just replaced mine this year. Got one for $10 on ebay. 1960 used the same switch.

You can open it up too, but be careful. Lots of little parts, springs and bearings.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I need one too! Damn
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info...I'll be searching...
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyMon May 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Still looking.....
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Me too
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Turnsignal switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Lina59.....There are two different switches. One for turnsignals, and one for back-up lights and neutral safety start. They both come up on E-bay from time to time, but usually get bid out of site. Exactly what problems are you having with the lights? Maybe we can help you sort them out. Your troubles could be bulbs, grounds, fuses, shorts, opens etc. Even if it is the switches, they can be rebuilt if needed......John
Back to top Go down
LBGalaxyman

LBGalaxyman

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 1:37 am

if you guys need those switches i can get them, there is like 4 or 5 59's and a 60 and those cars are never touched in those wrecking yards, i got some fender bullits and an assload of trim that was like new chrome and the car had like 42,000 miles on it, it was a pink color, and i mean it was sooo nice but the guy said he wanted like 3500 or 45.00 for the parts, so screw him since he only gave 200 for the car, OH!!! and i think it has a rebuilt tranny in the trunk that has never been ran and its been in there about 15 years if anyone is interested
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:59 pm

It is weird that sometimes the brake lights work and sometimes they don't. Just like the backup lights and turnsignals. You can brake one block and it won't work and then you will turn the corner and the brake light will come on. Or backing up sometimes they come on and other times they don't. I did find a headlight switch because my dash lights don't work and found a turn signal switch for the brake lights but both were worn as much as the one that was on there. Paid a good price for both and then it wasn't worth it. Also just found out I need a new gear box for my steering. The steering has pwer added to it. Haven't seen one on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 3:03 pm

I still have it for sale.........Lowered the price to $6999
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 3:55 pm

That's a pretty good deal for that car, you'll regret it! Just keep it

Yeah, electrical systems suck. They get old, mice get to them, they get shorts, they get bad connections.
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 4:06 pm

We bought it originally for the wife and it is too big for her to drive...Needing something smaller.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 pm

It is small...it's a Catalina. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am

starchief_59 wrote:

Yeah, electrical systems suck.

But they're fun!
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: rheostat?   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 12:05 am

We have a mechanic looking at the car and he says the electrical system seems just fine. The brake lights and backup lights are working perfect. He cleaned the connections also. He says with the dashlights that don't work, we need a different headlight switch with a "rheostat" Is there any place that you can cross reference about using a part from another year or make or model? The mechanic keeps commenting about the super condition of the car and being so straight...I guess we have a very good car on our hands.
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Light switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 12:46 am

Lina59.....1957-1959 Pontiac only. They come up on Ebay from time to time, sometimes used, sometimes NOS. Used are a crapshoot, NOS are usually bid out of sight. If you take the switch out, the reostat for the instrument lamps is located on the front of the switch (closest to the dash.) Sometimes a gentle cleaning will make them work again. Often they are rusted and corroded too much to repair. You can solder a small jumper wire to the ends of the resistance wire to give you full power at all times, and not have the ability to dim them. This isn't much of a problem, as the dash lamps are not all that bright anyway! I've been trying to find a switch with a similar reostat for a while now, with no luck so far. If I find one, I'll let everyone know. This seems to be the only real problem with these switches. By the way, while you have the switch out, look at it from the top, where the harness plugs into it. There is a long stip of metal that is the circuit breaker for the headlights. The contacts of this should be cleaned thoroughly and coated with a little dilectric grease......John
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks John. I will relay the info to the mechanic....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turn Signal Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Switch   Turn Signal Switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Turn Signal Switch
Page 1 of 1