Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing vent window weatherstriping

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bob Shields

Replacing vent window weatherstriping Empty
PostSubject: Replacing vent window weatherstriping   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Has anyone replaced the weather strip on the vent window of there project car? It seems the sash channel must be removed from the vent window frame to remove the vent window. My frame has a screw at the top and two rivits on the bottom bracket. If removal of the sash channel is necessary what do you use for a source for rivits?
Ames Performance has the parts, I wanted to know if my plan of attack is the way to go.
Thanks for any help
Bob Shields
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Replacing vent window weatherstriping   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 9:48 pm

I'll look at mine next time I'm out there. I've never replaced it though. Surely someone on here can help you.

Got any pics of your car?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Vent window   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 am

Bob.....To do this job, the entire vent window asembly needs to come out. There is specific instructions for this in the Fisher Body Manual, that is pretty clear. Generally, you remove the inner door panel, then the door glass. After that is done, you remove the vent regulator. One screw holds the vent to the regulator, and three bolts hold the regulator to the inner door frame. With the regulator removed, the vent window can be forced down against the weatherstrip and popped out at the top. Three bolts just below the vent opening and one near the bottom of the sash channel hold the assembly in. The entire assembly can then be removed by tilting the upper edge forward and lifting it out of the door. The fasteners for the rear vent weatherstrip are behind the upper sash channel. If the channel is held in place with rivets they can be drilled out and replaced with poprivets after the vent weatherstrip is replaced. If I remember correctly the vent strip is held on with tiny machine screws through the frame. At any rate you will see how its done once the sash channel is removed. It's time consuming, but not difficult. This is also the perfect time to replace the sash channels and the little corner stop also. Ames sells all these parts if you need them. Hope this helps.....John
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Vent window   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 12:41 am

Bob.....I may have given you some misinformation in my last post. If you have a two or four door sedan or wagon, you do not need to remove the door glass. Technically you don't with convertibles hardtops or vistas either, but I have found it easier to do them that way. However, the sedan door weatherstrip goes around the vent window frame, and needs to be removed in that area. Sedans also have a garnish moulding attached to the frame with a few screws that needs to be taken off. The bolts that hold the vent frame to the inner door frame may be in slightly different positions than I described. As I alluded to in the prior post, I have found that the Shop Manual, the Fisher Body Manual, and the Factory Engineered Parts Catalog to be the most useful tools for restoring these cars. All three can be found on Ebay for very little money. They are even available on CD's, but I found that format difficult to jump back and forth from page to page with. Sorry I may have misled you. Hope this helps.....John
Back to top Go down
Bob Shields

PostSubject: Vent windows   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks fellows for your reply's.
I had the vent frames removed from the door's and called Ames for the repair parts, and ask if they could give any help. Their answer was they had never done a full size and didn't want to give me bad info. Thats when I tried this site.
I found what catbird said to be pretty much in in line with my vents. I have a parts book and shop manual , but there were no pictures in either.
The front weather strip is held in with 4 small screws. The one along the sash channel is held on by small metal tabs that bend over. Ths sash channel weather strip must be removed to get at the metal tabs.
I was not sure how to get the vent window out of the frame.
After taking the top screw out of the sash channel I was able to spring the frame slightly and remove the vent window. I could not find any evidence of rubber culking, but though I might use a small amount of clear silicone when putting back together.
Thanks for responses.
It is a Catalina convertable. I may have some pictures to show a little later.
Bob
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Catalina convertible   Replacing vent window weatherstriping EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 am

Bob.....Good to know that there is at least one other Catalina convertible left in this world. I was begining to think that mine was the only one remaining! Took me two years to find one out in Iowa, and another eight years off and on, to restore it. Could have had several Bonnevilles during that time, but I wanted a Catalina. I guess that because they were less expensive they were considered disposable. Anyway, good luck with yours......John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing vent window weatherstriping   Replacing vent window weatherstriping Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing vent window weatherstriping
Page 1 of 1