Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia

Go down 
+3
starchief_59
markymark
drmb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
drmb

drmb

59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia Empty
PostSubject: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:50 am

Well travelled Strato Chief now in my garage.
[img]59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3653[/img]
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3642
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3629
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3344
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3342
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3342
59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia SAM_3638
Some things to do include replace rear taillights, handbrake lever, seats, interior, clutch, passenger doors don't close properly, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Beautiful car! I love poverty caps on any old car. Just wondering how a rhd began its life in Canada?
Im guessing alot of the parts you need are interchangeable with Chevrolet-makes restoration a little easier!
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Also interesting it's a V8 Starto Chief but has dog dishes. Are those original?

It's interesting to me that they still used Pontiac dog dishes on these cars. IDK I guess I thought they would have used a chevy or generic dog dish instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
drmb

drmb

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 5:57 pm

markymark wrote:
Beautiful car! I love poverty caps on any old car. Just wondering how a rhd began its life in Canada?
Im guessing alot of the parts you need are interchangeable with Chevrolet-makes restoration a little easier!

"Poverty caps" ! Haven't heard that expression before.

Canada had special tax status with the Commonwealth countries such as NZ, South Afrixca and Australia, so many auto manufacturers used their Canadian plants to make the RHD verions for export. For example, (shown in the photo) I have a RHD 1940 Mercury that was made in Windsor Ontario (even the 3.9 L motor), and a 1947 V8 Ford Deluxe that was made in Wondsor but shipped as CKD to South Africa, and assembled there.

Hopefully, all the Chev running gear of the Canadian Strato Chief can be obtained for the US or Canada.

I need some things such as new rear tail light lenses (the originals have stress caks, leak and will not pass the Australian road worthy test), etc. Any good parts places in Canada that will post to Australia?

Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:17 pm

I dont know where I picked up the poverty cap term-I think its been around for awhile. Ive been pilfering odd parts off a lhd car just like yours down the road from me, but its a canadian car, so i'm limited. I actually pulled the e-brake out but it was a chevy piece-you said you needed one? I can post stuff for you fronm Canada if you'd like. By the way, those back up deletes are stunning. A hard to find item.
Mark
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Apparently, Poverty Cap is the correct term for GM cars while Dog Dig was used for Mopar.

Yes, those back up light deletes are tough to find. It took me probably 3-4 years to find a set. Now I have 3 extras plus the 2 on my car. I think they look sweet!
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 am

all the drivetrain is chevy which makes it easy for parts, but i dont know of anywhere that sells any repro stuff as far as light lenses or body parts for the canadian version 59. Its also very hard to find any canadian 59s around even for parts, most have rotted away!! I live 2 hours from windsor, which is just across from Detroit michigan, alot of cool cars around there.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

The body parts should all be pontiac. Only the chassis and drivetrain was chevy, not the body
Back to top Go down
womble75

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:22 pm

starchief_59 wrote:
The body parts should all be pontiac. Only the chassis and drivetrain was chevy, not the body

Not quite - the dashboard is '59 Chevy LHD reversed, five dials with larger central speedo. The LHD Canadian cars (see https://pontiac-59.darkbb.com/t109-canadian-pontiacs) had the Pontiac-specific three-same-size-dials cluster. RHD Chevys and Pontiacs
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 am

Guys.....the quarter panels and trunk lids for U.S. cars don't fit Canadian cars. The Canadian Pontiacs were on the shorter Chevrolet wheelbase (119") versus the longer (122 and 124") U.S. version. Fenders, doors, and bolt-on stuff like taillamps etc. should be the same......John
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 am

The rear taillight lenses are often seen on e-bay. I got a set a year or two ago, and they did not cost a fortune. The shipping was more than the item lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia   59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

59 Strato Chief Right Hand Drive from Canada to South Africa to Australia
Page 1 of 1