Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

"Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" Empty
PostSubject: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 3:02 am

When Chuck Berry sings about souped up "Jitneys," What the hell is he talkin about?

And what does "jimmy" mill mean. They use it in a lot of old surf/hot rod songs from the early 60s.

"It's got a big jimmy mill with a power glide"

Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 9:18 am

thats a great question!! ive wondered that myself. I think alot of the times when you write a song you sometimes make stuff up because it "fits". I know when i write you sometimes think of the weirdest things just to make it flow. Of course im not a great musician like chuck though!! I think when i first started playing guitar i learned some of his stuff,its kind of a staple of learning guitar.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Chuck uses it in more than once song though. I know he uses it in Can't Catch Me and You Never Can Tell.

A short story that pissed me off the other day. My friend has been in this like southern rock/blues band for almost 3 years now. His lead singer was playing a show with some of his friends at the bar where I work. The dudes kind of full of himself and even though I've met him 100 times I still don't think he knows who I am. So I'm blasting a Chuck Berry cd at work and he walks in and starts setting his stuff up and he goes "CAN YOU PUT SOMETHING ELSE ON? CHUCK BERRY FUCKIN SUCKS? PUT ANYTHING ELSE ON" haha I looked at him with a staright face and said "No, Sorry" hahahaha I would have change it if he asked politely but not when you say "CHUCK BERRY FUCKIN SUCKS" Fuck that guy I was pissed

Shit Chuck Berry dominated rock n roll in a time when the country was pretty damn racist. Come on, that demands respect

Back to top Go down
pfzilla

pfzilla

PostSubject: Re: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm thinking that Jimmie with a powerglide is probably GM.

I remember back in the 80's me and all my heavy metal buddies got really into the 50's rock and roll. You would see us heading to a speed metal concert with Ole' Chuck or "the Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis blastin through the speakers. We probably had some people scrathin there heads. "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" 617550
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:45 pm

haha That's awesome. Same kind of deal at my high school. In my grade, we had the only real country boys. Most of the younger classes that thought they were cowboys were just rich kids with big trucks who spent thousands on stereos so they could blast rap while waving their rebel flags. "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" 684662

ANYWAY, the cowboys in my class all listened to Metallica every morning in the parking lot. haha that was funny

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"   "Jitney" and "Jimmy mill" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Jitney" and "Jimmy mill"
Page 1 of 1