Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solid State Ignition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
starchief1959

starchief1959

Solid State Ignition Empty
PostSubject: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 10:01 am

Anyone do away with the points distributor on their engine? I've been looking into the different options and with the Tri Power I can't use a HEI distributor due to clearance without grinding on the manifold. I've been doing some research and have been considering the Pertronix option. Anyone use this? Is it any good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:59 am

Oops...first reply posted on Electrical section. Is reposted here.

Did a search on the PY forum and found the following that might be of interest to you:
Ultimate Warrior

Proform's part number for a Pontiac HEI type distributor is 66953. Their phone is 1-586-774 2500, at least that's the number I have for them.

If you want to keep the stock look, Pertronics and Mallory make conversions that fit in a stock distributor. There may be others that I'm unaware of."
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 7:52 pm

I bought the MSD Pro Billet. After asking around for about a year I found that (like anything else) you get 5 million different opinions for the same question. And since we have '59s, they're just opinions. Most people on other Pontiac forums have no experience with '59s and can only offer opinions.

I have an MSD on mine. It's never been started but it looks good and it fits.

I have a friend who had a pertronix conversion on a lincoln and he loved it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 am

starchief1959......I've got the Pertronics system in my 59 with original distributor and Tri-Power. Easy installation and works flawlessly. Like it enough to put it in the Firebird! You don't need a high end mega-spark system in our engines. They don"t rev high enough to cause spark problems even with the original points system. The only reason I put the Pertronic in was to avoid adjusting the points. Hope this helps.......John
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 am

John, thanks. Are you running just the distributor insert or are you running their coil too?

Robert and 4896, with the Tri Power I can't run a HEI distributor due to clearance on the back of the manifold. The distributor physically won't fit due to how far back the tri power manifolds sit to make clearance for the rear carb.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

The MSD isn't an HEI. I couldn't fit an HEI either. The MSD is about the same size as the stock Distributor. It barely clears my Rear carb.
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't want all the extra crap under my hood that goes with the MSD system. I'm into sleepers.

I was told MSD won't fit either too.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 pm

I think the tri power has more room than a dual quad does. I should have tried the MSD with my tri power motor.

You don't have to run their ignition box. You have to run a coil though but that's the same as any other distributor besides HEI. I'm guessing you're referring to the ignition box. You could also run it under the dash or something.

I'm pretty sure anything pre muscle car and anything that says Pontiac is a sleeper in itself. haha kids underestimate Pontiacs. A 4 door grandma car will be plenty sleeper.
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 12:08 am

starchief1959.....I just used the kit that replaces the points and condensor. I also replaced the coil with a new one from NAPA because I didn't know how old or good the original was. Believe me, spark is not an issue with these engines, unless there is something wrong in the system to begin with.......John
Back to top Go down
Old Gold

Old Gold

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Catbird: do you have a part number on the pertronics points and condenser system you used......I have a bad vacuum advance and having trouble finding a replacement

where did you get it also
thanks
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Old Gold.....I don't have the kit number, but tell whoever you order it from what car it's for. They are all pretty much the same for all G.M. V8s. Since Pontiac distributors turn counter-clockwise, that might????? make a difference. Either way don't bother with the expense of a Pertronics coil. As I stated before, the only real advantage of these, is the elimination of messing with points and condensers. I don't remember exactly where I got mine, but just about any car magazine I pick up has someone advertising them. Look in "Hemmings" or "Old Cars Weekly" or maybe Ames and Perfromance Years sells them. Should be between $70 and $90 depending on who is selling them. I've had mine in there for about 8 years now with no problem at all......John
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:45 am

I had the crane cams unit in my 62. It worked well and installation was easy. I think it was less than $120 for the kit and the coil from Summit
Back to top Go down
Old Gold

Old Gold

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 am

is it what pertronics calls the igniter system? it has a magnetic ring and a little red box that goes in the place of points and condenser?

thanks
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-750-1725/

I'm pretty sure thats the one I had
Back to top Go down
Old Gold

Old Gold

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Got what i needed thanks guys.

petronics : igniter 1 1181
igniter 2 91181

those are the petronics part numbers for the stock distributer points and condenser replacement kit for pontiac 389 6.4 liter 1959 & 1960
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solid State Ignition   Solid State Ignition Empty

Back to top Go down

Solid State Ignition
Page 1 of 1