Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

crankshaft front seal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
brasil

crankshaft front seal  Empty
PostSubject: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 4:40 am

Does anyone here where to put exactly the front ckanshaft seal ? First thing , the design aftermarket seal is not like the original , which is built-in in a metallic cage ' (and obviously you can't put the new in the cage ..)
Second thing : where to put the seal on the axle of the crankshat ? For me , it was surely in the the hole of the timing cover but .. the seal is too large ! so on the axle just behind the hole Shocked Shocked ? but obviously it 'll be not watertight ..
I never imagined that this could be a probleme, and I may not see something obvious Smile
I don't find on the web , on the book " Rebuild Pontiac V 8 , or shop manual pontiac 59 , any answer, or clear picture . Yet , surely I' m not the first , here is the best place Smile !
Thanks , Phil
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Phil.....are you sure that you have a 1959 seal, and/or the correct timing cover? In later years Pontiac developed a better seal. The hole in the later timing covers was made larger to accept the new seal. As long as the new seal makes a good tight fit to the crankshaft, a machinist can enlarge the cavity in the timing cover for a press fit......John
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 9:03 am

Thank you . Yes I have the 59 timing cover design , but we can only find, on the net ,a seal wich fits with a largest hole . I begin to believe that I ' ll go to the machinist to upgrade the hole ..
Back to top Go down
59 Sport Coupe

59 Sport Coupe

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 6:34 pm

Perfect job, thanks for your help ! And I'm always asking me : where it is , how does the original front crankshaft seal work ???
Back to top Go down
59 Sport Coupe

59 Sport Coupe

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  EmptyFri Oct 09, 2020 8:39 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: crankshaft front seal    crankshaft front seal  Empty

Back to top Go down

crankshaft front seal
Page 1 of 1