Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to remove the dash

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryo

Ryo

How to remove the dash Empty
PostSubject: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 pm

The top of my dash is pretty rusty where a huge crack in the windshield had been leaking. I ordered a new dash top but before i replace it, I have to fix a really nasty mess of wires and patch a few holes in my firewall. I figured if the dash was relatively easy to pull, then I would pull all the wires I can get to and rewire the car. I also have the luxury of removing an aftermarket AC box from over the hump. Its Called "The Executive". I don't know if I will use in the future but I plan on stripping the whole AC system out and storing until decided. I have removed a lot of the extra switches. Would anybody have any pictures or info?

https://2img.net/h/i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r493/Ryokufox/46b60414.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r493/Ryokufox/c583a848.jpg
Back to top Go down
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Youre in luck! The dash is very easy to pull, and so is rewiring your car, if youre patient. You may however want to determine whether or not the rats nest is something you could work with though. Are wires burnt or cracked, or are they just messy? Mine were shorted, cracked and a large wrapped group of wires were melted/fused together so I pulled the plug on a new kit. Plug and play kits are out there but quite expensive-I think $800+ from my recollection. Certainly it is well worth it if youre doing a show car. I was not, as as such opted for a $150 kit from Rebel wire, made a few modifications, and with connectors and all the wiring was probably $225 or so. Dont even think of attempting this without a wiring diagram however!
The really nice thing about rewiring these cars is that the whole top of the dash comes off so the underdash work is also accesible from the top, especially if you leave the windshield out for the wiring work.
Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Ryo.....go to the first section of this forum "General 59 Poncho Chat." Go to the 13th topic down "Gages." Go to the 5th post down. That is a step by step procedure for removing the top of the dash. Hope that helps......John
Back to top Go down
Ryo

Ryo

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks! This will be very helpful! I dint look at the gauges section because I didn't think it would help take the top of the dash out. And yes markymark, I'm afraid all my wires are very brittle. Some wires have 3 or 4 segments of different wire all in one length just twisted together to make connections. I don't suppose anyone would have links to wire diagrams or any info on helpful tech data available for purchase would they? I will definitely take your advice and look for that Rebel wiring kit you mentioned too!
Back to top Go down
Old Gold

Old Gold

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm

I have complete wiring scamatic for a 59 pontiac, also pm me I own 2 complete 1960 bonnevilles in a buddies junkyard, dash caps, everthing interior and under the dash still intact (Dash cap)

I will help how I can with parts you need. before you buy check with me, im a short drive from you

Back to top Go down
Ryo

Ryo

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 12:38 pm

I really appreciate that! How much interior is interchangeable though? My poor old ride is slap worn out and and I need one of everything really. from window regulators to floor pans. Even my windows have bubbles in them and are delaminating! I already bought a new dash cap though, before I had found this site.
Back to top Go down
Old Gold

Old Gold

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

yes, the only reason i bought the 2 bonnies was because after seeing them, everthing interior and in the motor bay was idenical to my catalina, the only thig different is that your car is a sedan and the rear door glass and prolly everything from the rear seat back will be different and wont work for you. but...the dash , front seat, and all the panels will fit your ride.,

one thing i warn you against is do not loose or mess with the interworkings of the stearing colum, and do not take the turnsignal switch apart until your sitting at the kitchen table, that picture you posted somewhere of the fuse box i didnt see a turn signal switch so that could be an issue finding one.

text me some pictures of the dash and the door panels, and the motor
912 577 6027 thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove the dash   How to remove the dash Empty

Back to top Go down

How to remove the dash
Page 1 of 1