Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windshield Wiper Issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PontiaCat59

PontiaCat59

Windshield Wiper Issue Empty
PostSubject: Windshield Wiper Issue   Windshield Wiper Issue EmptySun Sep 25, 2022 10:47 pm

My windshield wipers stop, restart, stop, etc. for no apparent reason.  Duration of stoppage varies and doesn't appear to be related to vehicle speed or rainfall intensity.  Anyone had this problem?  Solution?  Thoughts?
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Wiper Issue   Windshield Wiper Issue EmptyMon Oct 03, 2022 2:11 pm

Cat59.....Sounds like a power or ground issue. The wiper motor has +12volt going directly to it from the fuse on the fuse block. The ground is provided by the switch on the dash. I would first check the connectors at the motor and the switch for corrosion and tightness. Make sure you have 12volts at the wiper motor connector. If all this is OK, I would take the motor apart and check the armature and brushes. Also check the gears. After 63 years the grease in the housing often gets hard and puts extra strain on the motor......John

PontiaCat59 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PontiaCat59

PontiaCat59

PostSubject: Windshield Wiper Issue   Windshield Wiper Issue EmptyMon Oct 03, 2022 5:59 pm

Catbird,
Prior to receiving your message, I removed the cowl vent to lubricate the accessible moveable parts and it seemed to help.  At least now the wipers seem to work properly sitting in the driveway with a garden hose.  True test will be on the road of course.

I appreciate your input and will give your fixes a try if failure occurs again.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Wiper Issue   Windshield Wiper Issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Windshield Wiper Issue
Page 1 of 1