Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi and hello all

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Michayos

Michayos

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am

Hi gang. My name is Michael and I'm new to the forum but a long time owner of a 59 Catalina sedan. The car was bought new by my great aunt and handed down through the family so its something of a family heirloom. :-) My dad gave it to me as a graduation present in '85. I fixed it up best I could being a newb to auto repair back then including a new paint job in Canary Yellow that ended up looking more like school bus yellow! LOL Did some mods including adding a tri-power system from a '61. Gave the top end of the engine a quick overhaul. And eventually added in a kicker sound system. It was a sweet ride.

I say was because I fell on some hard times and had no place to store the car. I left it at my parents farm and my father left it sit out in the field without my knowing for nearly 2 years. She's in bad shape and I'm still recovering financially but have been making a fair effort at bringing her back to all her glory.

I've replaced the trunk floor and all the supports. I couldn't find anyone who makes anything for the trunk except the floor itself so I fabricated all the supports myself using little more than basic garage tools and a cheap sheet metal brake. It's no where close to show quality but its strong and will last another 50 years or more.

I'm moving on to the interior floors and thank God there are a number of places that make the floor and supports. I'm still going to have to fabricate a number of replacement peices but I've had plenty of practice now and bought myself a new MIG welder that's made a world of difference for me.

I wish I'd found this forum last spring when I started. I can see that everyone is very helpful and I'll be calling on you all for help but I'll be glad to offer up suggestions of my own whereever I can help.

Lookng forward to talking with all of you...

Michael
Back to top Go down
Centurion

Centurion

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Michayos, great story and neat history of your car.

Please keep us posted -- and we would love to see more photographs!

Welcome to you!
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks Centurion.  Here is what I've done so far the trunk is mostly done.

Here is the floor.  This wasn't too bad as I found a pre-fabed floor that was close to what I needed and could add on the rest like the raised corners behind the wheel wells.

Michael

Hi and hello all 1a11

Hi and hello all 1b10

Hi and hello all 2a10

Hi and hello all 2b10

Hi and hello all 3a10

Hi and hello all 3b10

Hi and hello all 4a10

Hi and hello all 4b11

Hi and hello all 5a10

Hi and hello all 5b10
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 pm

All of the supports under the trunk floor were toast but I was able to salvage most of the rear support that runs side to side between the frame rails. All of this was fabricated in my garage using a simple sheet metal brake, a lot of C-Clamps, a saw horse or two, a couple 2x4's and everything from a simple ball pin hammer to a 4 pound sledge. Hardly show quality but they're solid and for a boulevard cruiser they'll suffice nicely.

Hi and hello all Dsc01510

Hi and hello all Dsc01511

Hi and hello all Dsc01512

Hi and hello all Dsc01513

Hi and hello all Dsc01515

Hi and hello all Dsc01610

Hi and hello all Dsc01614

Hi and hello all Dsc01611

Hi and hello all Dsc01613
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice job Michael that looks great. I have ran into the same problem finding the correct floor but you took the bull by horns!
Now can you come over Saturday and do mine!!?
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks Vince!  I'd be happy to come help assuming you're covering a two way flight between my place and yours and can talk my boss into giving me an extra month's worth of paid vacation.  LOL

The trunk is about done for now.  I still have some minor surface rust to clean on on the rear panel but that can wait until I'm close to painting the trunk.  I'm still a long way off from a color coat and I'm torn between using a grey & black spackle paint to mimic the grey & black herringbone or to redo it in the origonal color.

Here's the trunk so far...

Hi and hello all Dsc01729

Hi and hello all Dsc01730

Hi and hello all Dsc01731

I'll put in the supports and mount for the spare when everything else is done.

Hi and hello all Dsc01732
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi and hello all Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi and hello all   Hi and hello all Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi and hello all
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pontiac-59.com :: 1959 Pontiac Talk :: What's Your story-
Jump to: