Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Timing Chain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
59 Blue Bomber

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Okay FORGIVE my spelling I have to use my phone ... my computer won't let me post on here.

I need to replace the timing chain and I don't have a manual.Are there any tricks or suggestions. I have done many Chevy's but not a Pontiac. At least I don't have to drop the pan. Maybe somebody has scan of the related pages from the manual?

I need to do this asap because the car is going to be used in Leverage for episode 6.

Filming for 3 days begin on April 23rd.

I would appreciate any help guys.

Chad
Back to top Go down
Cat SS 59

Cat SS 59

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Chad, I have the timing chain removal section. PM your fax number and I will send it. Jim
Back to top Go down
59 Blue Bomber

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Jim thanks but I can't Pm from my phone and I don' t have FAX number anymore. I don't even have FAX Mach. Call me 808-298-7340

I would love a copy. Maybe there's another way to make this work.

I don't know why but when I login to here. I cannot do anything it must freezes up. This is the only website that does it. No clue why. I have to use my phone which sucks cause I can t type fast enough and I end up hitting the wrong key
Back to top Go down
59 Blue Bomber

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Okay- I have no idea whats going on, but I cannot get any farther than the thread list page and it freezes up. I tjust sits with the little blue circle spinning "thinking". This is the only website that my computer does this to. I have no idea why, but prevents me from even looking here.

I have checked every setting: cookies, pop-ups, search filters, etc, etc.... Maybe one day I will figure it out. For now, I'm using my wife's laptop, but this is limited to maybe once a day at best, since she uses it for school or my son playing on it, I don't usually have access to it. Besides, it's hers and it's not fair to "borrow" hers because mine is being finicky!

Well, now to the timing chain. The job went of without a hitch, in fact, this was the easiest timing chain and gear replacement I have ever done!. It could not have been any simpler! My thanks to Jim for sending me the fax with the necessary info. I did most of the job without any type of manual or instructions. The most important part was the info about the unusual front seal on these motors, which requires graphite to be applied to the cork seal itself. That was helpful, as was the placement of the eccentric on the cam for the fuel pump. The motor testeds trong with 150+ lbs of compression in each cylinder with no severe issues with leak down or really bad rings. It does smoke a little out the breather at start-up, but goes a way when warm. It's like a new motor compared to before, but will still need a rebuild in the future, at some point.

The timing set was original to the car, as the slack in the chain and the markings on the gears, it was obvious this was the case.

With that being said, the engine runs better than it ever has, like waking a sleeping tiger, so to speak. It will now hold time and stays put! I don't know why I didn't do this before, but was motivated by the car being chosen to be used in "Leverage" as a featured vehicle. It won't be just a background vehicle, but will be used by the principle actors in a key scene. Contract obligations with the production company prevent me from divulging any more than I already have and I already said too much.

The story and script are considered proprietary, so I don't want to cause any problems with my relationship with them. But I will give more info when I can.

Chad

Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 am

I'm glad you got her running great again. Try to get some pics of the car on set and show us whenever you're allowed
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59 Blue Bomber

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks, Robert! She runs awesome! I was also having a dificult time with the starter. When I got the car, it had a starter in it, well on the floor by the back seat. I bought a rebuilt one, but the nose cone was different. Long story short, I switched nose cones, drive, back plate and had to use the case that came with the reman unit, along with the winding and brushes. The solenoid, too.

Anyway.....the starter would kick out way too soon and not allow it to spin over enough to start the engine. I took it out and disassembled it. I cannibalized the bendix drive from the new nose cone from the reman starter I had and put it in. Also the spring in the solenoid was about an inch taller than the 5 other springs I had from some small and big block Chevy's I had. I swapped out the bigger spring for a smaller one....Voila! No more kick back! I have no idea why there was a bigger spring in there, but it was way too strong for the solenoid.

Guys, just FYI, if you ever need a starter for these cars, they are hard to find. I recommend rebuilding it yourself. I was quoted $250.00 to rebuild the original I had and I could not find one with the right nose cone at any auto parts store. They are easy to rebuild and can save you money, too!

I will definitely post pictures from the set, when I can!

It's good to be back, but like I mentioned before, I have to use my wife's laptop to go here, so it's limited right now.

More later,

Chad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Timing Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain   Timing Chain Empty

Back to top Go down

Timing Chain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pontiac-59.com :: Technical :: Motor and Transmission-
Jump to: