Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
59vista

59vista

In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... Empty
PostSubject: In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...   In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 am

I just installed a pertronix electronic ignition on my 59, using the all original distributor. Generally this works fine, and i also think it is an exelent product, but it was not that easy getting there (at least not in this case).

This system uses a plastic ring with eight trigger magnets, that fits under the rotor, and a electronic module with a hall pickup, and integrated power electronics that replaces the points.

First i installed the thing, all according to the manual, and ran into the first small problem. First problem was that the rotor shaft was lifting way to high to adjust the clearance with the shaft shims that came with the kit. This was fixed by making a new bushing to fill that gab. Properbly cause by wear from the upforce that the gear makes.

After putting everything back together i started the engine, but apparently it ran on only half the cylinders.

I tryed all i could think off, but eventually i took it all apart again, and found that the plastic ring with magnets held only 3 out of the 8 magnets - the rest of the holes were empty. What the F--- !. Anyone else seen this ?.

So the thing was i had to use the cars a few days later, so the obvious solution was to reinstall the points - defeat !

After thinking for a while, and searching my mind for a household source of some powerfull small magnets, i thought of the kids magnetic stick toys (you can build 3D structures of these small magnetic sticks and steel balls - i cant remember what the name is, but around here it is fairly popular). Off to the kids room to steal a few magnetic sticks, and cut the plastic off.

These magnets are about the right size, but round, where the original magnets are square. This was solved by means of 'controlled crushing' in a vice, and the new magnets glued in place using cyano glue. Take care to test the polarity, so that the magnets are facing the same way as the original ones - i did this by putting the new magnets on top af the old ones. When the magnets is attracted it faces the right way.

That was it - it works perfectly...now i wonder if the company i bought it from is going to send me a new magnet ring, or if i have definitivly ruined that possibility Laughing
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... Empty
PostSubject: Re: In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...   In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 pm

hahahah wow that is awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
markymark

markymark

PostSubject: Re: In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...   In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Well I guess I did better than you-I had 6 magnets in mine! Thanks for the heads up tho'-the exchange was no problem!
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...   In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 7:52 am

I really did think it was unlikely ... I guess those people could use a little quality control after all.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...   In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)... Empty

Back to top Go down

In they unlikely event that this happens to someone else (pertronix ignition)...
Page 1 of 1