Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New guy from Georgia

Go down 
+4
starchief_59
PontiaCat59
59canadianponcho
Burns5150
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Burns5150

New guy from Georgia Empty
PostSubject: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:41 am

Hey guys, When I found this site ,i just about feel out of my chair! There is not a whole lot I have found about the 59 I have and I was glad to find you all.
I put an ad looking for old cars in the local paper,old as in 30's to the 50's. A guy calls from about an hour away and said I need to check out his car for sale. I never even knew exactly what a '59 looked like and thought that I would have no interest in it at all. I decided to at least have fun and grap my friend and at least make one of those great "car search and hunt" trips,just for fun. As soon as I saw it ,it was love at first site. And now it will be one of the last cars I would part with.
I love the lines from bumber to bumber,and it fits me like a glove. It really is a great car ,although mine needs painting and some interior work,it runs decent,and drives,and is a keeper!......
I look forward to all the info here and I will needs alot of it,since I never knew much about these cars (or Pontaics as far as that goes,grew up in a Ford family).....Thanks guys and I look forward to future chats!....RichieNew guy from Georgia 163
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

welcome to the site. Nice car, looks like its in really good shape. I love these cars too, like you, i dident know what a 59 looked like but i found mine at the side of the road for sale and just thought it looked cool, so i bought it not knowing anything about them!! You will find they are rare, not too many left out there. Mine is the canadian version, which uses the chevy drivetrain. Hope you have fun with it and cant wait to see more pics. Good buy!!
Back to top Go down
PontiaCat59

PontiaCat59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Welcome aboard! There's a lot of good information on/thru this site and many of the guys (other than me) know their stuff. Don't be bashfull... throw it out there and someone will respond.
Back to top Go down
Burns5150

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks guys, I know there will be alot of good stuff on here. It is so hard to find anything out about these cars, parts or info. Im sure I will have plenty of questions and it is so great to see this site and an interest in these rare rides...
This one I bought for $700 and could have drove it home. Even came with a new windshield that I broke as soon as I got it home(bumbed it in the shop).And yes I have priced them and felt sick knowing what I had done!!!.....
Thanks again guys and I look forward to the fun!!...Richie
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Welcome to THE site!

That's a bad ass car. Catalina I guess? Automatic?

Sucks you broke the windshield but at least all GM sedans use the same windshield so they're not impossible to find.

$700 sounds like a bad ass deal
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 am

Niiiiiiiice...

I even like the S10/Astro wheels on it.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 am

Is that what those are? At first I thought they were like TA snowflakes haha
Back to top Go down
Burns5150

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 am

They do look like snow flakes !....No, those have got to go. They where what came on the car and they have held air every since. I have not touched it since I have had it,and need to do quite a bit. I have not drove it more than 50 miles since I have had it 4-5 years now. Needs paint,some carb work,and interior work in places,but runs and drives. I have alot of plans for this car and hope to start soon. I am not sure how 4-5 years have went by and I have not started yet Smile .......
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 am

Get on it!
Back to top Go down
Burns5150

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Amen Bro!.....I do need some good leads on a great catalog or parts place (ebay being the only good place I know right now). I figure you guys have already found all the best places to look toward when parts searching. I need a windshield,a few lenses,and some interior kits (doors,seat covers,carpet) would push me in the right dirrection. Where are the best places(catalogs,etc) that you guys have found?......I would also like to put a 4 barrel on this thing if there is an aftermarket intakes that will work and not break the bank....
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I don't think there is a single 4 barrel intake for early pontiacs but tri powers and dual quads are an option. A factory 4 barrel intake is just about impossible to find. I have only seen maybe 5

Seat covers and door panels are not reproduced but you can send in your originals to SMS Fabrics (in washington or oregon???)

As far as other parts, Ames is pretty bad ass and california pontiac restoration is pretty good
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 am

I bought myself a 4 brl Edelbroch aluminium intake of ebay - you should look for Edelbrock EP4B (EarlyPontiac4Barrel) - but it is not installed yet. Seems to match my gaskets though.
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

good score. I love it when you open up the four barrel, the sound and acceleration is awesome. The part i also remember when i had my trans am is watching that gas gauge needle move pretty darn quickly!! I might put a bigger engine and 4 barrel on my 59 as well.
Back to top Go down
Burns5150

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 am

I will leave mine like it is,and just change the carb. It is a great running engine and will be best to keep mine simple. This would be more of a easy driver for me. Looks like ebay is tha only real good place to get parts. Boy, This is really a rare thing to find parts for. Makes me like the car so much more! I dont think I will have to worry about 100 of these being at the next cruize night!....
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 pm

haha no joke, they are pretty rare

Are you sure that Edelbrock fits the 55-60s? I though they only made one for 61-64 which will bolt on but the water passages are different
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 pm

I did some research on that ep4b intake, and some says it's 61-64 only - other say 59 - 64. after looking at the gaskets i got, and after reciving lots of pictures i think it fits, but i guess i won't find out for sure until i pull the old one.....
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm

The only difference will be the very front coolant passages. The intake holes and the bolt holes will line up. The coolant holes will not

If you post a picture of the bottom I'll be able to tell you
Back to top Go down
Burns5150

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I know this is going a little far out there, but Speedway has an adapter plate that bolts on an intake to go from 4 barrel to 2 barrel,and maybe vis-versa......I have not called and checked if it will work both ways,but it may. But that may defeat the purpose with the 2 barrel intake, maybe to much fuel dumping in the top. Im not the greatest motor man in the world,more of a body work guy,so any input on this will school me alot.....Any think that this is worth the effert?...http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-2-BBL-Carburetor-Adapter,67.html
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 4:30 am

I'm sure it would work both ways but like you said it because of it's design probably would not perform worth a crap.

A 4 barrel intake just ended on ebay like $50 including shipping. haha they're not worth that much money but they're almost impossible to find
Back to top Go down
thechief

thechief

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Welcome aboard! sweet Poncho! you'll have fun with it. i just got mine over the summer and i'm in love with it. even tho i have only driven it once till i ripped it down for resto Smile
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:19 am

Burns5150.....quick question. When you look at your 2bbl carb, is the choke housing at the top beside the air horn, or at the base beside the throttle plate?.....John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Georgia   New guy from Georgia Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy from Georgia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pontiac-59.com :: 1959 Pontiac Talk :: What's Your story-
Jump to: