Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
59vista

PostSubject: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:45 am

I've seen these on ebay once a while ago, but they never came up since. I need a new (or use working) gear for the vent windows (the small ones that turns). Both sides are sluggish, but the drivers side is very worn, and this makes the window noisy at higher speeds, since i can only close the window with mimimal force. Any gears that interchange will be fine, but i dont know what fits....

Thanks for looking...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:50 am

i would think the 59 impala would be the same? i dont know how you could tell though, maybe you would have to take it out and look at the bolt pattern? Im not sure if mine would be the same either, since its canadian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starchief_59
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 pm

I'd be willing to bet that all 59-63 (maybe further back and maybe to 64) GM cars.

I doubt they'd spend time and money making more than one little gear box that does the same job. My 59 buick, 59 pontiac, 62 pontiac and 63 pontiac all had the cranking vent windows. I bet they're all the same

1959 Pontiac Star Chief 4 Door Hard Top
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks for sharing !

Sounds good !

I'd be willing to try it out, but currently i've found none on ebay. I tried searching for vent windows, vent gearbox, vent gear and the such, but so far no luck No .

If you hear of someone hwo has one or a set that they want to part with please let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starchief_59
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 pm

If you want, I'll pull one from a chevy or buick at a local yard for you.

Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Vent regulators   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am

59vista.....The regulators are 1959-60 all body styles only. Later years won't work. My parts interchange book doesn't list these, but all glass and door window regulators interchange between Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Buick. In all likelyhood the vent regulators do also......John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:27 am

starchief_59 wrote:
If you want, I'll pull one from a chevy or buick at a local yard for you.

East End in Del Valle has a couple of '60 Chevies. Ask for Roy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Vent regulators   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:03 am

59vista.....Forgot to mention in my last post, that you can rebuild them if the gears are not stripped. If you look at the back, there is a steel disk that is staked into the housing. If you unstake (? don't know if that's a real word) it, the entire mechanism comes apart. Most often, a good cleaning to get rid of the dirt and old hardened grease will get them back to working order. They can then be regreased, put back together, and restaked. Hope this helps......John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LBGalaxyman

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:30 am

i know a wrecking yard that has 4 or 5 cars that would have those gearboxes if interested.....though you have to wait till i get back in the states
Back to top Go down
View user profile
59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for helping out !, i would realy like a couple of new ones, but prehaps i should try if they can be rebuild. I noticed that the handle moves out when i turn it, so maybe it is an end bearing problem. I will try to remove one as soon as i get to the car (it is in storage right now, but will be taken out later this month), and check the condition.

Meanwhile, if anyone gets near a set (59-60) at a junkyard i will be happy to buy a pair. It never hurts with a few spares on hand cheers .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Anyone who can get this for me. I was going to use 'buy it now', but i can't due to shipping limitations (us only). I asked the guy if he could send it to me anyway, but apparently he can't.
I really would like to upgrade to powersteering, since parking in narrow spaces (what we have most of here) makes me sweat like a horse .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290346071725&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starchief_59
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I guess I could get it to you if you wanted. Let me know

Back to top Go down
59vista

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:17 am

Please do !

I will send you the money over paypal account, if that is OK. I think it ends this evening, so just ude 'buy it now' - the last one got away in the final seconds...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starchief_59
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:05 am

Done deal. PM me and we'll figure out how much it'll cost to ship it to you

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.   

Back to top Go down

Wanted : gearboxes for vent windows.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1