Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pushrods & Rocker Studs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
starchief1959

starchief1959

Pushrods & Rocker Studs Empty
PostSubject: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 am

Hey, trying to figure something out here. My engine has oiled pushrods AND rocker studs. Is everyone else's engine like this? Does anyone not have oiled studs and pushrods?

Robert, when you rebuilt yours were they all oiled?

Thanks kids!
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Valvetrain oiling   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 12:17 am

starchief1959.....If your engine has not been modified that is the way it was. The oil from the lifters came up through the hollow pushrod to lubricate the rocker socket where they touch. The rocker socket didn't have the tiny hole to oil the rocker and pivot ball. A drilled passage in the head fed oil to the hollow studs to lubricate the rocker and grooved balls. The overflow of oil lubricated the rocker tip and valve tip and stem. A very good system as long as the oil and filter were changed and the passage and studs remained free of sludge. This system was used all the way up to 1964 I believe......John
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks catbird. I was getting a lot of input saying I was overoiling the head and robbing the crank and cam of oil. That my heads must have been altered. Did find some info though that stated as you did that this is correct. Also some guys over on the HAMB confirmed it too. Just some reassurance that I was getting this thing back in one piece te right way.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:53 pm

My motor was machined for screw in studs so the oiling had to be switched from rocker stud oiling to push rod oiling. Factory pushrods should not be hollow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Valvetrain oiling   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Stud oilers do not gush oil all over like pushrod oilers. The oil through the stud fills up the ball cup and overflows at the tip to lubricate the valve stem and rocker where they touch. Without hollow pushrods, the rocker and/or the pushrod would soon wear out, as no oil would get to the socket where they touch. That's why they are hollow from the factory. If the rocker had the tiny hole in the socket, like small block Chevys, there would be too much oil to the heads. The speed equipment manufactures used to make hollow screw-in studs. I have a set that I was going to put on mine, but I think they are overkill on an engine that is not likely to see more than 5200RPM's......John
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

PostSubject: Valvetrain   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 pm

starchief1959.....If I'm not mistaken, I saw on another forum that you have new lifters to put in your engine. If this is the case, I would strongly caution you not to. New lifters riding on an old camshaft is a recipe for a wiped out cam. The lifters are hardened, and by now the camshaft has worn most of it's hardness off, especially with todays oils (no ZDDP.) Get a new cam to go along with the new lifters. Good mild grind cams are relatively inexpensive, and you don't want to do everything over again......John
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 3:56 am

That's a good point about the new lifters vs old cam
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:11 am

Great info Catbird!! I alwayas wonered exaclty how this odd comshaft/rocker oiling system worked.

Question:

I have a set of NOS tappets I'll be installing (actually I have 15 out of 16. Anyone want to sell me an NOS tappet, lol?) on my engine when I rebuild it since modern day tappets seems to have a plethora of issues from bad designs to poor metallurgy. I noticed that the part# for the later non-stud oiled rockers were different than the older stud oiled rockers. I also see tappets from, say comp cams, displaying 1959-1981 as being all the same and compatible with each other. Care to explain who's right, wrong, or if I'm the idiot, lol. Thanks!

Dan
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 am

I would assume it has to do with the oiling. Since the 66??? rockers are pushrod oiling im thinking the oil comes up the pushrod and onto the rocker and then runs down to the tip. Whereas the stud oiled rockers oil through the stud and then down to the tip.

I'm not exactly sure, just guessing. I was told you can just use 66?+ pushrods and rockers and you won't have to worry about the stud oiling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pushrods & Rocker Studs   Pushrods & Rocker Studs Empty

Back to top Go down

Pushrods & Rocker Studs
Page 1 of 1