Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
brasil

harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? Empty
PostSubject: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi all ! I need to check ( or perhaps change ) my timing chain : So I need to remove the harmonic balancer attaching bolt : I think to use an impact wrench ( strong with 500 N-m), but i' m little afraid to do that : no risk to break the bolt (in place since 1959..) ??? Have you experience of that ( my engine is in the car ) .
Thanks . Phil.
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Fire away with the impact, won't hurt a thing during the removal process.

Do NOT use an impact putting it back on though!
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for your reply . I believe the bolt strong , and I don't know another method to remove it ..
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 1:34 am

There's an old method for removing and installing the balance bolt that works well, just takes a bit of time:

Remove one of the spark plugs that's within easy reach. Turn the engine by hand so that piston is at the bottom of the cylinder on the compression stroke (both intake and exhaust valves closed). Thru the spark plug hole, feed a length of nylon rope (it MUST be nylon!) into the cylinder until no more can be fed but let a bit stick out for easy retrieval. With the nylon rope inside the cylinder, it will be compressed by the piston preventing the engine from rotating when removing the crankshaft bolt. Use this method to reinstall the bolt but be sure use a torque wrench. I believe the proper torque spec is 160 foot pounds but verify for sure. I'll dig out my manuals and look it up the spec if you can't locate it. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 4:40 am

Oh yes , I know that method , and I tried it ( but perhaps not with nylon rope ...) But unfortunately the bolt is tighten so strong (160 lbft , like you say) : I can't unscrew it manuelly , even if I put an extension on my torque wrench Evil or Very Mad ! I thought to heat the bolt with a blowtorch, but i preferred to buy an impact wrench with a regulation possible until the good couple for the tightening : actually I wait to receive the good sockets by Ebay ( I live in france , and here we can' t find impact socket SAE) . Now you know where I arrive : I DON' T want to break this bolt Very Happy Very Happy !And also my fear is that someone has already disassembled and reassembled with a threadlock !!
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 am

Some news : i got it Cool look my timing chain , completely distended . Odometer give 89 351 ..
https://youtu.be/z2gfy3cmR-M?t=6
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Congrats on getting the bolt to break free.

Before I disassembled my engine, I measured the slop in my timing chain out of curiosity and came up with 12 degrees. During disassembly, I could lift up the timing chain and freely move the cam gear either direction.
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Mine is 18 degrees . In acceleration, I heard an annoying BRRRRRRRR. For a long time , I thought it was coming from the power pump steering ; Then after some research on you tube and forum , I began to think i need to check timing chain ; after new chain installed , I 'll tell you if my BRRRRRR left !! cheers
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm

new timing chain installed : approx 5 degrees
Back to top Go down
brasil

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 4:49 am

The job is finished , no problem .. but the BRRRRRRR is always when accelerating !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??   harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

harmonic balancer attaching bolt : no problem to remove ??
Page 1 of 1