Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bonneville Coupe in UK

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sparklyman

Bonneville Coupe in UK Empty
PostSubject: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyWed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi All,

Stumbled across this forum - can't believe I found something vehicle specific, especially as I've been trawling for 59 Bonneville data for months now.

I have acquired a 59 Bonneville coupe....in need of restoration. Generally in fair order for it's age, but of course has rust and needs lots of panel work. Also has missing cylinder heads, which I'm finding hard to locate. I'd like to rebuild the engine, if possible, but may be forced to find another engine - there seems to be a few Trans Am enthusiasts here in UK...

Car was assembled in Kansas, trim plates show it as Style 2837, but title states it's a 2 Dr Sedan ....checking some shop manuals I have, it's clear the Bonneville wasn't available as a 2Dr sedan, so obviously title is incorrect.

Anyway - I'm really hoping there are a few enthusiatst here who are familiar with the 59 Bonny and can provide some assistance & guidance over the next few years as I get stuck in to getting her sorted out. I have to be honest, this won't be a restoration to original spec., as I'd like to convert to AirRide and will probably re-trim & paint in non standard colours...then there's the engine/heads issue also....

Wonder if I could ask a few of you to touch base at this stage, just so I can get an idea of how much familiarity with the 59 is on here ?

Needless to say I'll be trawl;ing through every single thread over the coming days !

Great to be here - looking forward to the rebuild - can't wait to get started.
Back to top Go down
gtotiger

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcome!
I'm restoring a 1959 Catalina 2dr Htop in Italy.
Looks like Heads are are a weak point...I had to look for replacement ones for my engine too
I now have 3 spare heads Laughing

Back to top Go down
sparklyman

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi - good to hear from you

What was the original issue with your heads, requiring you to find replacements and, where did you find them ?

How long have you had the 59 - where did you buy it and what have you restored so far ?

Very interested to hear more about it please !
Back to top Go down
PontiaCat59

PontiaCat59

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Welcome! There are a lot of knowledgeable 59 enthusiasts on this forum...I wish that I was one of them. (Ie; I know just enough to be dangerous.)
Back to top Go down
sparklyman

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 am

Hi Bob,

Bought my Bonny from a guy in Virginia ....

Hope you'll be able to help me along with this restoration...familiairty with the car is something I don't have, so I'll be welcoming any input at all !
Back to top Go down
gtotiger

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 am

Hi Sparkly
I found very small cracks in both my original heads...
see this topic for pictures of heads and restoration

https://pontiac-59.darkbb.com/t553p25-introducing-myself

I purchased the replacement heads on ebaymotors ..

Car came from Iowa

P.S.
When I decided to look for replacement heads I had no idea it took so much time to find and have them here..I had all them shipped surface from USA to Italy because air shipping will be too expensive .
the two good ones I machined and installed are actually 1960 ones...according to my researches the only ( other than 1959) ones that will work with original cooling system and intake manifold
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 am

Sparklyman...I have a friend who lives in Guildford, Surrey England.  He owns a 59 Bonneville coupe model 2837.   It is stock, with a Cameo Ivory body and Shoreline Gold top with matching gold interior.  Contact me at donald.weston@cox.net and provide your email and phone number and I will have him contact you. His name is Roy Hunt and his 59 Bonneville has been featured in the UK "Classic American" magazine a couple of times. I got a tour of London in Roy's Bonneville some years ago.  He and his wife come to the US from time to and has been in the Woodward Cruise with me.   Last month he was here in CA, and we went to a large classic car show on old Route 66 in Ontario, CA together.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 3:17 pm

I had to find a new head when I got my car because it was missing one. I found a set on ebay for like $70 but that was 2006. Theyre out there but probably not easy to find anymore. I have a spare one that I plan on keeping for a spare just in case
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonneville Coupe in UK   Bonneville Coupe in UK Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonneville Coupe in UK
Page 1 of 1