Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Head light Bezels

Go down 
+2
don_weston
Brucenan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brucenan

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyFri May 30, 2014 3:32 am

My Bonneville has cast and chromed bezels, I have been given a set of pressed alloy ones. Can some one tell me if some models had these alloy bezels. Thanks bruce
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 9:38 am

Both the diecast and aluminum headlight bezels were used in 1959. An assembly line photo clearly shows a new Pontiac Bonneville with the diecast chromed headlight bezels. However, the Al ones are far more common in my experience. My guess is that the diecast bezels were used early in the model year and then the cheaper Al ones were substituted in their place to increase profits.
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 12:09 am

Bruce.....I believe that Don is correct about it being an early/late transition from cast chrome to anodized aluminum. I know that it is not a series thing, as I've seen them on Bonnevilles and Catalinas. I've also seen them on Southgate, Kansas, Whilmington, and Linden cars, so it doesn't appear to be an assembly plant thing......John
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Another trivia item   Head light Bezels EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 am

It is not well know but in addition to two different headlight bezels used in 59 there were two different horn ring buttons.   One had the name PONTIAC embedded deep inside the clear plastic while the second had this word just below the surface.
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 am

Hello, Peter from Sweden here...
According to my parts and accessories catalog, there were 2 models, part nr 5950322 wasfor the Catalina model, part nr 5949821 for the StarChief and Bonneville models. At least it was meant so from the beginning, my book is printed in October-58.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Peter,   which part are you referring to, the headlight bezels or the horn buttons? With respect to the horn buttons, the one for the Catalina was totally difference in appearance than the one for the StarChief and Bonneville.
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 3:26 am

Hi Don, I was meaning the headlight bezels. But it might have been a slight difference between the book and what actually happened at the assembly lines.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:37 am

Ok, thanks for the clarification Peter.  I just checked my "Pontiac Master Parts & Accessories Catalog" dated Oct 1, 1959.  On page 153, Group 2.728 titled "DOOR, HEADLAMP"  there are two 1959 headlight bezels listed: 5950322 (aluminum) and 5949821 (die cast).  Both are listed as "All" with regards to which model they go on. Is this the catalog you are referring to or something else? I have seen both the Al and die cast headlight bezels on all 59 Pontiacs regardless of model. The Al are far more common however.
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 am

Well, my book is the Preliminary Parts and Accessories Catalog, with carry-over parts from the -58 model also. The Master Parts Catalog was issued at first in Jan. 1959. By the way, two different horn caps were available, one in combination with standard steering Wheel (no horn ring?) part nr 534282 and an "ornament assy" in combination with horn ring and deluxe Wheel part nr 532445. But I Think I havent seen any Pontiac-59 without horn ring.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks again Peter.   If possible please scan and post the information from the preliminary parts catalog as I would love to see it.   It would certainly answer the question once and for all why there were two headlight bezels.  The parts manual I have is the same as the preliminary one except the pages have been updated throughout the year and the old pages discarded.   With respect to the horn buttons I have both styles and the one for the Catalina does not have a horn ring.  Only the deluxe one has a ring as I said and it came in two slightly different styles.

Last edited by don_weston on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi Don! As a new member,I have to wait a couple of Days Before I can post this, (7 Days from joining) so please wait some Days. I put the catalog in the scanner, but was not able to send it to this forum.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Sounds great Peter. I will look forward to seeing your post or perhaps you could scan the information and email it to me directly. My email is donald.weston@cox.net
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Wow, I've never seen a cast headlight bezel
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 pm

I would say the die cast headlight doors are on maybe one in ten 59 Pontiacs I have seen over the years. I strongly suspect they were discontinued early in the model year to cut costs and that is why there are lots of StarChiefs and Bonnevilles with the cheaper Al headlight doors.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 6:25 pm

I just rec'd an NOS pair I found on Craigslist in SOCAL.
In the boxes still too!
I hate sending money to strangers but it worked out.
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Congratulations! Cast or alloy?
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 11:22 am

Thank you! They are the cast ones with the part number ending in 821 and still shine like new.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Craig's list is great but as you pointed out you have no recourse if the seller is a criminal.   I found an original unmolested tri-power for my 59 Bonneville on Craig's list several years ago and sent $950 to a guy in New York.    Fortunately it worked out fine but you never know for sure of course.   I had a guy in England respond to a post on this website with regard to my request to purchase 59 Bonneville taillights.  He wanted me to send him $400 in a money order and refused to do business by a Paypal transfer.  When I told him I had a friend in England who would be glad to pick up the taillights for me and give him the cash he never responded.  I strongly suspect this guy was a crook.
Back to top Go down
Palle

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 2:17 pm

I had a reply from Great Britain too when I searched for -58 parts for my friends Parisienne. His name was Dave Cook, and he had all the parts we wanted, in exellent condition but by security reasons he could not send pics of them. When I replied that my brother works with IT-security at Volvo and there is not more problems sending pics than an ordinary email, he didnt respond. Be very careful if somebody answer from Great Britain, it is very common with fake mails from there.
Back to top Go down
don_weston

don_weston

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 pm

I am quite sure that is the same guy in England who tried to trick me into sending him money. He probably is not even a member of this website group. Really sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Head light Bezels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head light Bezels   Head light Bezels Empty

Back to top Go down

Head light Bezels
Page 1 of 1