Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Finfan

Finfan

Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. Empty
PostSubject: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Turned into more of restoration with an MP disc brake kit along with all new front end parts. SMS upholstery and Steele rubber stuff. I had the chrome straightened and polished now I just need to find fasteners.
Car had never been painted so I went with its original color. What do you all think?

Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. <a href=Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. IMG_4440_zps8c3041da" />Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. <a href=Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. IMG_0010_zps6dccc496" />Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. <a href=Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. IMG_0418_zps4eaae8e3" />Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. <a href=Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. IMG_0408_zpsf03ee788" />
Back to top Go down
Cat SS 59

Cat SS 59

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Finfan, looks like you've come along way. Original color looks great.
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you Sir. Its been a long road.

I am struggling with a wheel choice now. Leaning towards a deep chrome rim with no cap like Ron Howards 58 in A.G.

Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Looks sweet! Did you pull it off the frame before painting?
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Michayos!! No I never intended to go as far as I have with it. I read the horror stories of the front and rear window fitment if the body is removed from the frame so it was alot more than I wanted to deal with.
I did have to replace the arm on the frame at the rear axle that goes up and becomes the coil spring pocket. It was a poor weld years ago as I think my car
was hit in the rear DS and pushed into a curb possibly for it to have the damage it did. All good now.
Anybody know what this color was used on besides GM cars? Neat trivia!

Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Regardless, it looks great! Its finally getting warm enough here for me to start working on mine again. I haven't been able to do anything for nearly 5 months because of the cold.

Your color code is "J" right?

The names vary but the same color was used by BOPC in 1959
Buick - wedgewood blue
Olds - frost blue
Cadillac - brenton blue
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Dont know how you guys deal with that weather!
Yes, its code J, you have all the colors names correct but the color was used on a non automotive item by a certain company.
Who is the company(that will tell you the item)?

By the way, they had to mix my paint because the painter wanted to use Valspar and they had no code.

Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

You can find a lot of details on these two links.  I also have some info posted under "help with color matching" in another post.

Digital recreations of 59 pontiac paint chips and related paint codes for each paint maker are here:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipcreate.cgi?year=1959&manuf=GM&model=Pontiac&ret=code

and detailed info including links to additional info and pictures of cars in that paint color here:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1959&manuf=GM&model=Pontiac&con=ymo&rows=50

for example this link should show you pictures of oldsmobiles in your color

https://www.google.com/search?q=Frost%20Blue%201959%20Oldsmobile&tbm=isch
Back to top Go down
Finfan

Finfan

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Ha, in the Oldsmobile images you posted is the item and company I was referring to with my trivia question; Gibson guitars used Frost blue from 1963 to 1969.

I could not find any Castle blue Pontiacs to look at so I did look at Cads and Buicks and Olds to get an idea what she was gonna look like before I went ahead with paint.
In my searches it appears Chevrolet didnt use the color?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.   Catalina "paint job" got out of hand. Empty

Back to top Go down

Catalina "paint job" got out of hand.
Page 1 of 1