Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

heat rise valve blocked

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
brasil

heat rise valve blocked Empty
PostSubject: heat rise valve blocked   heat rise valve blocked EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 3:48 am

hi all ! i' ve a problem: my heat riser valve is blocked, and i can't say exactly if it's in open position or closed. And for the moment , i' don't want to remove exhaust manifold , or pipe, because they are very very rusty and i' m afraid to break bolts. so, can you tell me: when the counterweight is high, the valve is closed, isn't ? and so, when his large end is looking down it's open..and i'll try to block it in that position.. Tanks. Phil.
Back to top Go down
CATBIRD

heat rise valve blocked Empty
PostSubject: Re: heat rise valve blocked   heat rise valve blocked EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Phil.....yes, when the weight is down, the plate inside should be open. The coil spring has two purposes. When the engine is cold, the spring constricts and closes the plate. This forces the passenger side exhaust to go through a passage in the intake manifold under the carburetor to warm it up. As the engine warms up, the spring gradually relaxes and the exhaust flows through the head pipe or "Y" pipe. The spring also is supposed to keep a slight tension on the counter weight to prevent it from flopping around. If you can move the counter weight freely, it is probably working properly......John
Back to top Go down

heat rise valve blocked
Page 1 of 1