Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door repairs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Michayos

Michayos

Door repairs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 9:24 am

The Chevy replacements for the front doors were still down to bare metal after sandblasting 2 winters ago.  Surprisingly there's no surface rust starting yet.  I've stored them with the other sandblasted parts in a spare bedroom with low humidity.  :-)

I've painted the outside with self etching primer.  I will finish scraping off the old undercoating inside the doors later.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02226

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02227

While I was at it I coated the inside of the fin off the rear passenger side door with POR-15 and used self etching primer on the outside.  The clip on holders and nuts were soaked in Eastwood's "Fast Etch" which removes the rust and leaves a nice protective zinc coating behind.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02228

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02229

Now back to that rear door skin.  This one's going to be a bit of a challenge.  Due to Father Time, rust, and who knows what else, the thickness of the metal on the door skin is less than 18 gauge and more than 20 gauge.  I'm using 18 gauge sheet metal for replacements which means I have to blend the seams of the replacement pieces into the rest of the door.

The bottom of the door skin has tons of pin holes and it's straight across.  Hey, I can do this!  :-)

First to cut off the bottom and test fit the replacement panel.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02010

Ok, now how do I weld all the way across this and not warp it?  Start off by staggering a lot of spot welds across the seam pausing in between each one to let the heat dissipate.  And of course it helps if you have a nice heat sink to help dissipate the heat.  The copper plate dissipates the heat from the spot weld very fast and the angle iron behind it acts as the heat sink for the copper plate.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02011

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02013

My girlfriend told me yesterday that I was neglecting her. I jokingly pointed at the car and said "How can that be when I've been here with her all day?" Needless to say she wasn't laughing!

I'm off to the florist this morning...
Back to top Go down
59 Sport Coupe

59 Sport Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Good job  Very Happy

My girlfriend told me yesterday that I was neglecting her.  I jokingly pointed at the car and said "How can that be when I've been here with her all day?"  Needless to say she wasn't laughing!

I'm off to the florist this morning...

strange ... I have the same problem here  scratch
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 11:55 am

I've pretty much finished up the bottom of the rear door skin.  Folding over the edge of the new sheet metal was an interesting challenge.  As I'm on a bit of a budget here, there was no way I was going to buy a specialized tool to do this that's $300 or more!  Thankfully I've got a good head for figuring out problems.  So here's what I did.  I took a pair of channel lock pliers, and a short piece of 1/4 inch square steel stock and created my own tool.  If I start off by leaving the channel locks set to wide (imagine setting them in the groove for a 1 inch pipe) and use them to start bending the flat sheet metal over the edge of the door.  Then change to the next groove making the gap in them a little smaller and fold the sheet metal over a little more. Keep making the gap smaller and fold over the sheet metal a little more at a time.  Granted, had I bought the tool to do this it would have been done quicker but for about $5 I made what you see here using an old pair of channel lock pliers I already had.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02235

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02236

And here is how I used them

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02237
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Spring has arrived and I finally got some time to work on that door skin some more.  What a pain it is turning out to be.  The sheet metal is very thin and if my welds don't blow through the metal they heat it up enough to warp it all to hell.  Thankfully I've come to love the metal shrinking disk I picked up for my grinder last year.  It's more accurate and easier to control than using a torch to shrink the metal.  Over the past few days I've roughed out the repairs on the front edge of the rear passenger side door.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02210

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02215

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02212

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02213

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02214

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02211

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02216
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 pm

It's taken me weeks to fix all the warping from the welding.  I've been working with a metal "shrinking disk" which works sooooo much better than a torch for metal shrinking.

The door skin is finally ready for final sandblasting and primer.  On a positive note I actually got to put something back together (even if only temporarily) for the first time in many months!  The last pics with the doors on are just to help align the new rocker panel I'm getting ready to put on.

Unfortunately I haven't done much else.  A little sandblasting of small parts in a blast cabinet in the machine shop where I work and that's about it.

It has been a long HOT summer here and my garage was over 100 degrees most days when I came home in the afternoon.  Since my neighbor calls the police when I make too much noise I do most of my work with the garage doors closed.  At 100 degrees with no a/c that's just too much so I got nothing done all summer.  Its finally cooling off now so hopefully I can get back to work on the car.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02310

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02311
Back to top Go down
mus098

mus098

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi,I've done the same on my 60 Chevy 4dr sedan.Got 3 replacement doors but they arrived all damaged.Got it all fixed though.Then sold it and bought my 59 Catalina 2dr HT.MORE work than the Chevy but worth it.
Just in case,I still have a brand new set of factory green tinted side glass,8 pieces.Also have a used tinted green back glass with good rubber.Plan was to install it in the Chevy but when I sold the car,the buyer wasn't interested in it.Although the clear glass on that car was horrible.

Michayos wrote:
It's taken me weeks to fix all the warping from the welding.  I've been working with a metal "shrinking disk" which works sooooo much better than a torch for metal shrinking.

The door skin is finally ready for final sandblasting and primer.  On a positive note I actually got to put something back together (even if only temporarily) for the first time in many months!  The last pics with the doors on are just to help align the new rocker panel I'm getting ready to put on.

Unfortunately I haven't done much else.  A little sandblasting of small parts in a blast cabinet in the machine shop where I work and that's about it.

It has been a long HOT summer here and my garage was over 100 degrees most days when I came home in the afternoon.  Since my neighbor calls the police when I make too much noise I do most of my work with the garage doors closed.  At 100 degrees with no a/c that's just too much so I got nothing done all summer.  Its finally cooling off now so hopefully I can get back to work on the car.

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02310

Door repairs - Page 2 Dsc02311
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door repairs   Door repairs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down