Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michayos

Michayos

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Empty
PostSubject: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:00 am

Well it's been over 25 years since I did my botch job repairs on this car in high school so I shouldn't be shocked when I find yet another surprise that needs major repair.  At least by now I'm getting better (and faster) at fabricating these things!

So I was getting ready to replace the rear dog leg on the passenger side because I actually found the origonal replacement panel on ebay.  Here's what I found...

First let's pull up the old bondo...this was a little worse than I remember but hey I can work with this...

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01715

Now you can see why I needed to replace the dog leg.  This didn't looks so bad at first glance either.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01716

Now remove the layers of undercoating from the wheel well and umm...well I didn't expect that but ok.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01717

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01718

Now to cut out and fit the replacement dog leg panel... Oh hell...really!?  LOL

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01719

The vibrations from cutting out what was left of the dog leg caused a lot of the rust to just fall off...

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01720

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01721

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01722

I try to laugh at all this as I shake my head and wonder... What's next?

Isn't there a saying somewhere that goes something like "Never ask a question when you don't want to know the answer?"  ROFL  More on that later...

Last edited by Michayos on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:21 am

All right then, time to get started fabricating and fitting the replacements for all this...

First the floor under the rear seat.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01723

Now on to the wheel well.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01724

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01725

In case you missed it, there's a hidden support in there behind the wheel well that's rotted out.  Remember my comment about not asking questions unless you want the answer!?

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01726

Time for more cutting.  Oh joy!

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01727

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01728

I've ordered another dog leg panel for a 59 Chevy that I'm going to cut up and use to replace some of this but I'm still going to need to fabricate a lot of it.  Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Jackpot baby!  Woohoo!  These are going to save me a LOT of work.  

The small replacement panel is the 59 Pontiac dog leg part # DL55AR & DL55AL, though I still say it was for a '60 due to slight differences in the fender flare.

The large panel is the FULL dog leg replacement panel for a 59 Chevy part # DL42AR & DL42AL.  I want to thank Jim and AJ at VintagePartsClub.com for these.

The only diffference between them is the fender flare.

My plan:  Cut the fender flare off the 59 Chevy panel to relace the section of the inner door that I was dreading trying to fabricate, then I can weld the 59 Pontiac dog leg in place.  Give me a few days and I'll show you what I mean but for now here's what I've got.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01733

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01734
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 11:43 am

Ok then...

When I cut out more of the metal around the door for the new Chevy replacement panel I found what I expected.  The sections of the inner support where it was spot welded to the wheel well and the door frame were rusted out.  More cutting...more welding...more grinding...  That is the theme here right?  LOL

Here's what it looks like now.  Don't adjust your screen. There really is a blue tint from the etching solution I used to prep this for POR-15.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01810

I still have some trimming to do on the Chevy replacement panel but here is the Chevy panel with the fender flare cut off next to the Pontiac dog leg.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01811

And here are both panels screwed together for a test fit.  The alignment at the top is off a bit but that's easily fixable.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01812

Now close the door and... sweetness!  Mind you this is just sitting in place and I still have a little trimming to do but its coming together very nicely.  :-)

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01813
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Soooo close but the trick or treater's kept me busy tonight.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01823

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01826
Back to top Go down
Michayos

Michayos

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Close enough!  The dog leg is tack welded to the rear quater panel and loose at the bottom for when I put in the rocker panels.  I've sprayed this with self etching primer to prevent flash rusting.

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01827

I will probably have a professional install the rear quarter panels once I have everything else done.  My welding skills are no where close to doing this myself right now.  There's 3 different part numbers written on this and I can't remember which one was correct for the 59 pontiac.  I think... the part number was RFP60R & RFP60L.  Yes, I have the left and right.  Very Happy 

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Dsc01828
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!   More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding! Empty

Back to top Go down

More surprises, more cutting, more welding, and a LOT more grinding!
Page 1 of 1