Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Something that got on my nerves a little today.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Something that got on my nerves a little today. Empty
PostSubject: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 4:04 am

Fixed one of my coworker's cars today and he was making fun of my "old tools." My tools aren't all shiny and pretty like other mechanics. (yeah, he's a bit light in the loafers...hahaha)

My tools are used. Only time I ever buy a new tool is when I am working on something and don't have it. Otherwise I'll buy someone's collection of old tools. Old tools have character. Old tools are generally more reliable than new tools, I've found. Hell, I have a Snap On socket set and ratchet from the 1920s. Still works like brand new too. When was the last time anyone has ever seen a 9/32's drive socket set??
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 7:00 pm

i agree 100% Old tools are far better, made better, and work better. I only buy new stuff if i need a certian tool for one job, cause i know its gonna break, so i buy cheap stuff. My tools are at least 30-40 yrs old that i got from my dad and grandfather.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 am

haha that's bad ass Jay!

I think the oldest tool I have is a 3/8 Snap On wrench that is super rusty that I found in a 79 D100 parts truck. I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old. I use it as a key chain
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Not too sure what I would use a 31/32s socket for...BUT DAMMIT, I HAVE ONE!!! Something that got on my nerves a little today. Lol3
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 pm

starchief_59 wrote:
haha that's bad ass Jay!

I think the oldest tool I have is a 3/8 Snap On wrench that is super rusty that I found in a 79 D100 parts truck. I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old. I use it as a key chain

There are ways to tell how old it is, if it has any markings you can see.

Something that got on my nerves a little today. Snap_on_date_chart
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:14 am

Where would these markings be? I'll have to check
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:04 am

Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 am

I'll see what I can find out
Back to top Go down
thechief

thechief

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

dude thats cool. i have a set of allin wrenches from the 50's. most of my tools are about 3 years old because i didn't have any lol but they're all greasy and dirty now its awesome
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:05 am

Just picked up another huge box full of vintage snap on, mac, craftsman tools for $100 today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:24 am

no shit? donde?
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:44 am

Gotta love Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 am

nice
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Hit up an estate sale and picked up all this for $15.

Those swivels - all Snap On. The one on the end is a 1/2 impact swivel with a 18mm socket. The swivel alone is like $50.

The wrenches are Williams, Snap On, ect. There are like 2 complete sets of Snap On. And they're from the 30s-40s.

Micrometers are pretty expensive too.

Something that got on my nerves a little today. 149p3t2
Something that got on my nerves a little today. 24fmvk1
Something that got on my nerves a little today. Aaasyt
Something that got on my nerves a little today. 30sucu8

I might clean em and use em or I might leave em as is. People buy the shit out of wrenches like that for decorations.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 7:11 pm

haha nice score jay
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 am

Damn, in cleaning them up, so far besides the wrenches I mentioned, I've found a complete set of Vlchek Chevy accessory wrench set - which will be sent to my mom for her birthday to go with her '59 Biscayne - and I also found an original Hazet Ferrari wrench.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 am

haha damn you find some weird shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something that got on my nerves a little today.   Something that got on my nerves a little today. Empty

Back to top Go down

Something that got on my nerves a little today.
Page 1 of 1