Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MORE and MORE parts

Go down 
+6
59safaricat
manicmechanic
starchief1959
59vista
thechief
starchief_59
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

MORE and MORE parts Empty
PostSubject: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

I ordered a whole butt load of parts in the past 2 weeks.

New rear shocks, fuel lines, brake lines, wheel cylinders, all new brake hardware, brake adjusters, master cylinder and slave cylinder for the clutch linkage, air cleaner adapters so reg air cleaners will fit on my old Carter carbs, battery cables to put the battery in the trunk and some more little stuff.

I'm still tryin to figure out if I can make a dual chamber master cylinder work. I haven't had any luck so looks like I'll get the stock booster and MC rebuilt and go with that. After all that's done she should be road ready!
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 am

I found a "new" master cylinder on ebay for a decent price, I guess I still need to get the booster checked.

Hopefully I'll get the wheel cylinders, brake hardware and adjusters in this weekend.

I got the cables to mount the battery in the trunk, I got my PCV grommet and valve that I need to hook up to something instead of having the vent tube.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have the MC/ SC figured out for the clutch. I'm kind of worried the brake booster will be in the way of the master cylinder. I'll get that mocked up soon

After all this I'll do the exhaust and then try to work out all the electrical things like tail lights and dash lights.
Back to top Go down
thechief

thechief

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:59 am

well at least your serious about this lol

my tail lights dont work either... but i havnt looked at the electrical yet. the headlights, dash lights, and courtesy lights are dead too...

MORE and MORE parts 86203
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:48 pm

My headlights work, the dome lights work, I don't have bulbs in the courtesy lights or tail lights, I broke the turn signal switch so those don't work. haha

I'll get it figured out, I'm not the best with electrical but I guess I've never really tried
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't worry about the electrics - the schematics are available, and it is really not very advanced, so if it is in a bad state i would just replace all the wires- maybe keep the connector housings.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:57 pm

I'd love to re do all the electrical but I'm not too sure I want to tackle a huge electrical job like that. But then again with all the original 50 year old wires I do risk catching it on fire. For now I'll just do enough to get me legal and finish it up later
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm going to rewire mine this winter. Got a 21 circuit harness from Golden Rodtronics for $180. Very Happy

I'm not going to waste $500-$600 for a harness just to have the original fuse block in it.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Good point. let me know how that goes. What all did it come with?
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:38 pm

starchief_59 wrote:
Good point. let me know how that goes. What all did it come with?

If you want wiring help, I'm your man.

I need to go to Aaron's on Congress and pull a complete harness for the Blazer to modify. Adding a lot, including another fuse box under the hood.
Back to top Go down
thechief

thechief

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 1:44 am

electrical scares me haha. my turn signal switch works Very Happy but i might need to re wire everything to the back of the car... i've only glanced at my fuse box. i'll get in and mess with it later.

you know what else Original Parts Group Inc. (OPGI) needs to offer parts for these things..... they have 1955-75 Cadillac, but not Pontiac... screwed up... anyways..

starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 am

Ok, I'm still waiting on the brake lines and fuel lines and a new MC but I have all the other brake parts and the MC and SC for the hydraulic clutch set up.

I got the battery moved to the trunk (because I want it in the trunk) and I got the new shocks on. The shocks I got from NAPA were a full 4" too short. WTF??? Since the new shocks were longer, the cheater slicks actually fit under the car now. It's still a pretty tight fit but they clear everything fine. The slicks are 8 or 9" wide and 28" tall. The shocks are KYBs.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders and the hardware and the adjusters next time I go out there. Hopefully have the gas tank and new fuel lines mounted in a week or so along with the new brake lines. After that I'll focus on the clutch and then after that I'll do the exhaust. Then it should just be little stuff. I'm stoked

MORE and MORE parts 3901750696_ed515f3cc1
MORE and MORE parts 3900987155_2dde3978b1
MORE and MORE parts 3900982003_16a89da942
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 am

I'm really stoked on how the dog dish caps look with the white letter tires and the cheater slicks. Without the dog dish caps it looks like an old nascar or something. The stance is just what I was looking for too. Over all it's the look I want. I'm STOKED and just a little while longer before I'll be MORE and MORE parts 39432

I am going to repaint the front wheels black. I have a set of 15" steelies that will work but I decided to put the 14" steelies on the front so I wouldn't have to buy new tires and I think it looks good with the smaller wheels in the front
Back to top Go down
thechief

thechief

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 am

Dang nice lookin Pontiac Robert.. I like the dog dish caps to that looks great! First thing you notice about any car is its stance MORE and MORE parts 770732 its nice to see a shiny Star Chief every now and then to i'm so used to seeing a rusty one haha.

Beautiful car man. Its coming along great keep it up!
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:21 am

Thanks man, The original paint on it is in great shape with the exception of the driver's side fender which looks to have been spray painted years ago. affraid

I say "great" it's not a museum car or anything but it's in good shape for being 50 years old and sitting outside it's whole life
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:25 am

That car is just plain hot. cheers
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:28 am

WOW, that looks great!

You're waaaay passed due ripping through some gears on that machine!
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks Jay, you should come check it out sometime.
Back to top Go down
manicmechanic

manicmechanic

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:44 am

I really need to!
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am

I'll let you know next time I'm going out there. Maybe tomorrow maybe the next day
Back to top Go down
PontiaCat59

PontiaCat59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Sounds like you're having fun. Just wait until you get that baby on the road... then the REAL fun begins!

How the heck do you get so much done in what seems to be a relatively short period of time? I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 12:59 am

haha I live in an apartment so the car is at my parents house. When I find time to go out there it's all business. Actually, I take my time and enjoy what I'm working on. I used to try to hurry through everything and I would end up just getting mad and frustrated. The heat and humidity really effects my mood for some reason. Now when I get frustrated or I can tell I'm just not in the mood I'll just call it quits for the day. If you stay focused and inspired you can get through it pretty quickly. I try to have a goal each time I go out there. Sometimes you make it, sometimes you don't and sometimes you end up working on something completely different. The way I always looked at it, even if you only tighten one bolt a day, it will eventually get finished. Just keep pluggin away

Also, have the right tools and the right music playing helps also. The music kind of keeps me calm and not having the right tools just plain pisses me off. I don't really drink but I guess that could either pump you up or calm you down depending on what kind of drinker you are haha MORE and MORE parts 86203

I got the old fuel line out and the new fuel line in tonight. I haven't plumbed it all the way to the fuel pump but as as soon as I get some rubber lines I can finish it up. I'm going to take my sending unit out again and make sure the inside of the tank is clean. The guy at the shop told me to pour 1 cup of motor oil and 1 cup of gas or diesel in the tank and slosh it around real well and pour it out before I install it. It'll make sure all that dirt and dust doesn't go down the lines.

My brake lines came in also...with no instructions, I think it's a 7 piece and so far I can't tell where any of the pieces go. I wish they would have labeled them. I'll figure it out, I might go out there tomorrow before work. I'm off all day saturday so I hope to have the brake lines and brakes done by then (except the booster and MC). I still need to send out my booster. I found a guy who rebuilds them for $140. Seems like a decent deal to me. I just got a "new" MC off ebay for like 60-70$ with shipping so I thought that was a good deal.
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 am

Does anyone have a picture of how the fuel line runs from the curved piece by the body mount to the fuel pump????

I can't tell if my headers are in the way or if I have the line backwards or if it's just wrong. I might have to just make my own piece.
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:47 am

Agreed ! MORE and MORE parts 770732 - lets see it run !
Back to top Go down
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 1:36 am

OK, I spent a full 10 hour day on her! I bought some brake cleaner and some rubber line to finish the fuel lines and clean up the brakes.

I got the fuel line finished from the tank to the engine bay. The line from AMES does not fit and I don't see how it's even supposed to fit. It looks like it's not even close to fitting, so I drove to NAPA and got a 60" piece of 3/8 line but my bender doesn't do 3/8! So I rubber lined it for now. But the gas tank is in!

I redid both front brakes with the new springs and hardware and wheel cylinders. The drums and shoes are in great shape with little wear so I left them alone. I think I got them adjusted pretty well so they should be good to go once theyre plumbed up.

I mounted the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch but I had to move it over to clear the booster so now I kind of have a hole too big for the MC. I'll figure somethin out
Back to top Go down
wydtrac

wydtrac

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 4:22 pm

I have some pictures here of the fuel line routing from the front body mount to the fuel pump. Hope they help. I bought a pre bent line set for mine and they seemed to fit for the most part.
There was a short rubber line connecting the rear line to the front line that you can see in the picture. Then there is a short rubber line connecting the front line to the fuel pump that you can see too. Hope these help.
MORE and MORE parts Fuel_l12
MORE and MORE parts Fuel_l13
MORE and MORE parts Fuel_l14
MORE and MORE parts Fuel_l15
MORE and MORE parts Fuel_l16
In the last picture you can see a clip that holds the line in place that is just on the fuel pump side of the clamp. This is attached to the frame with a bolt.
Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.classicconvertibles.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MORE and MORE parts   MORE and MORE parts Empty

Back to top Go down

MORE and MORE parts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next