Pontiac-59.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontiac-59.com

Welcome

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Startup after long evil winter....

Go down 
+5
59safaricat
Lina59
59canadianponcho
starchief1959
59vista
9 posters
AuthorMessage
59vista

59vista

Startup after long evil winter.... Empty
PostSubject: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 12:58 pm

I started her up yesterday and took a spin. I also drove her to work today. Amazing how it just fires right up, and performs exelent, even after sitting for months. The reason for the early startup (the winter is not over yet, and it's still cold), is that i have promissed to put it on display at a local bank for their aniversary - they were founded in 59....
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Sweet. Get pics when you do that. I'm getting close to firing mine. Have to finish getting it back in one piece.
Back to top Go down
59canadianponcho

59canadianponcho

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 pm

yeah, would love to see some pics. i have been playing with mine also since it been nice here too. It was annoying, but i could only get it to start for a minute when i poured gas down the carb!! First i thought cloged fuel line or filter so i took the line off the carb and fuel was runnin through so i took the carb off and took the top half off to have a peek and it looked fine, and then spayed the crap out of it and now it works!!??? gumed up? plunger not seated right? dumb luck?? oh well, runs good now
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 pm

I've got some funny pics from this trip - i parked next to a smart. Those things are only about 1/3 the size, and looks like a toy car...
Pics will be comming soon as i get them out of my phone (the cable is left at work).
Another strange thing happened - the car was running strange, using alot of gas, and almost stalling when i pushed the pedal. I found a defective hose to the vacuum diaphram on the ignition, and fixed it. This helped immidiatly, and feeling relived i made a hard launch to check the power, and it died completly affraid . I was able to start it, but it stalled immidiatly when key was released.
I thought about it, and it had to be a problem with the ignition - either to weak to work with the ballast resistor in circuit or ballast circuit gone, which turned out to be the case. A connector on the ballast resistor had come lose. Put it back on, and everything was back to normal. Then it hit me - this is the ideal place to put yous antitheft switch. The engine comes to life, then dies, leading the thoughts of a potential thief towards a defective vehicle (i hope)...
Back to top Go down
Lina59

Lina59

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Got my car out of storage today. Was wondering if it would fire up even though it had a new battery put in before storage. Fired right up. The wife was driving behind me going home and said when I was backing up out of the storage building that the backup lights didn't come on until I put the brakes on. And another time at a stop sign when I had the brakes on the brake lights weren't working. Guess I have some sort of electrical problem that needs looked at.

Last edited by Lina59 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
59safaricat

59safaricat

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 12:52 am

Can anybody comment on starting issues due to gas vaporization on the 4 barrel Carter carbs? I'm looking into swapping the 2 barrel Rochester for the Carter for the best of both worlds in fuel efficiency (when the secondarys are closed) and power (when the secondary's open). I've heard that the Carters are hard to start after sitting due to the design of the float vents venting off large amounts of fuel.
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:27 am

It's not so much a carburetor issue as it is the fact that gas is so volatile now a days. It evaporates too fast no matter what unless you're completely sealed (which can't happen in a carburetor).
Back to top Go down
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Startup after long evil winter.... Pic-0010

url=https://servimg.com/view/12481728/14]Startup after long evil winter.... Pic-0011[/url]

Startup after long evil winter.... Pic-0012

No, i did not rear end it - it was already like this. Just look at the results of 50 years evolution in car technology Startup after long evil winter.... 919776
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:37 am

You could buy one of those smart cars as a dingy. Startup after long evil winter.... 919776 Instead of a spare tire just throw one of those in the trunk.
Back to top Go down
pfzilla

pfzilla

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Dude, that is a sweet looking car. Very pretty!! Exclamation cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
wydtrac

wydtrac

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 9:51 am

Nice ride!

I'd need two of the little black things! One for each foot! Startup after long evil winter.... 919776
Back to top Go down
http://www.classicconvertibles.net
starchief_59
Admin
starchief_59

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Your car looks great! I'm glad to see she went to a good home!
Back to top Go down
http://www.Pontiac-59.com
59vista

59vista

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Note what they learned from pontiac - actually its using the principles of 'wide track'. To keep the thing from flipping over they moved the wheels all the way out to each corner for maximum stability. I saw a load of these SMART cars in Berlin - they can fit 2 into one parking space !. Fortunatly i dont live in a big city, and dont have these concerns Wink .
Back to top Go down
starchief1959

starchief1959

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 am

We have a dealer I saw just the other day up in in MN. It's amazing how many of those things fit on a dealer's lot. LOL!

"I need one for each foot." Startup after long evil winter.... 919776 Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.
Back to top Go down
2_VistaHardtops

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Beautiful car!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Startup after long evil winter....   Startup after long evil winter.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Startup after long evil winter....
Page 1 of 1